What's the best car to buy with a £1000

I'd try and avoid French cars if possible. Saying that I had a 306 and the girlfriend still has a 206 which is great. My 306 committed hari-kari but it was my own fault because i'd forgot to have it serviced. A small 5 door car should suit you, as I mentioned our lass has a 206 and she has to transport our 2 little kiddies around in that and it's fine.

Try and find a Japanese car ideally as these will tend to be more reliable. Or any of the VAG cars VW/Skoda/Audi should be good. Skoda is probably the best bet as VW and Audi tend to be more expensive as they hold their value better. Once you've decided what car you want check to see if there are any owners forums with a for sale section as cars from here will have been looked after better (eg google "206 owners forum" or "skoda felicia owners forum" etc.)

saying that any car can be a lemon you just have to hope your lucky and pick a good un.

1.8 Mondeo

Similar fuel consumption to your Corsa, cheap to insure and seem to go on for ever.

I would have thought a grand would get you a half decent 2001 car

forgive me foe sounding ignorant but how can a 1.8 mondeo give similar mpg to a 1.4 8v????

mod stop takin out my posting it a valid reply so stop victimie me i say go nisan primra

The mod team aren't vicitimsing you, they're removing posts which break forum rules because they comprise of nothing but txtspk, which is against forum rules and was reported to the team because of it.

If you want to post on the forum then please post in full English, then there will be no reason for them to be removed.

The mod team aren't vicitimsing you, they're removing posts which break forum rules because they comprise of nothing but txtspk

Pot, kettle?

I'd get some flavour of Ford for the reasons mentioned - cheap, easy to get parts, plenty in scrap yards and so on.

I guess it'd have to be a Focus. Be aware of the fuel consumption though - I have a 2 litre Mondeo petrol and it's hopeless economy wise unless you get it on a long run.

Fiat's are cheap too, because of their reputation. The insides are generally pretty rubbish, but mechanically they're as good as anything - the 1.9 diesel Fiat use is basically the same as the 1.9 diesel Vauxhall and Saab use (good old GM) and it's as reliable with a Fiat cover on as it is with any other. If a Punto is big enough, the 1.9 JTD version might be worth a look - 70mpg.

Do you do mainly short journeys or do you do long trips on the motorway? Unless you drive long distances regularly there is no point getting a diesel. a small petrol engine will be fine. Diesels are usually more expensive to buy. My advice is to find a 5 door 1 litre petrol engined car. A punto would probably be suitable here are some cars you might consider

On there the Mazda get's my vote. You might need to check the service intervals on whatever car you buy as if the cambelt is due it's an expensive job

Archived