What's the best car to buy with a £1000

forgive me foe sounding ignorant but how can a 1.8 mondeo give similar mpg to a 1.4 8v????

1.8 16v zetec is an excellent engine, I got surprising economy out of mine when driven sensibly.

Not sounding rude (so don't take it personally!) the 8v 1.4 Vauxhall lump (Hi Torque) is a bit of a dog and was already out of date when it found it's way into your car. It got dropped from the range in 1999 I think, so assume your car is earlier than that.

You really wouldn't notice any difference.

1.8 16v zetec is an excellent engine, I got surprising economy out of mine when driven sensibly.

Not sounding rude (so don't take it personally!) the 8v 1.4 Vauxhall lump (Hi Torque) is a bit of a dog and was already out of date when it found it's way into your car. It got dropped from the range in 1999 I think, so assume your car is earlier than that.

You really wouldn't notice any difference.

+1

£1k will get you a decent spec Mondeo 2001 - 2003 - cavernous boot, nice to drive, cheapish to repair if there are any issues.

Small on the outside but big on the inside is a Nissan Micra - incredibly reliable, cheap to run and maintain, hence they are the runabout of choice of many immigrant communities and known around Sheffield as the 'Taliban Taxi'.

They're great little cars though with an unbelievable amount of room inside and Nissan reliability.

If you buy one only let your grandad drive it and don't forget to get him a flat cap.

sounds like i should get a mondeo then n yes know exactly what u mean for a 1.4 8v its not the best i had my 1.4 fiesta ghia was quite rapid it was a 3dr automatic but it shifted some one said today about a 1.6 mondeo what about those???

The MK2 didn't come with the 1.6 engine. The MK1 did I think but they are getting on a bit and the MK2 was a big leap forward. It was around for nearly 7 years.

The 1.8 would probably be just as economical as the old 1.6 anyway.

This looks ok, just make sure you check the history and get a HPI check, some will have been clocked, its only £3.50 by text.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201133410163336/sort/priceasc/usedcars/price-to/2000/body-type/hatchback/price-from/1000/quantity-of-doors/5/engine-size-cars/1-7l_to_1-9l/transmission/manual/model/mondeo/make/ford/postcode/s24su/page/1/radius/20?logcode=p

Figures suggest it will do about 40 mpg on a run and highish 20's around town.

Archived