Leadmill - 25 Years - your fave gigs??

jake

Originally posted by bonny

I'm currently going through an electribal memories phase!!!

Billie Ray Martin shouldn't have left Electribe 101!

They were ahead of their time...

I still play the 12"'s, Album...

The artwork they produced is timeless too :thumbsup:

Screaming Blue Messiahs in 1985 was memorable and it was also the first time I'd been to the Leadmill. It was amazing to see Bill Carter and his wild plectrum-less guitar strumming technigue and hear the big noise it made. I also remember hearing the Smiths 'Barbarism begins at home' on the soundsystem beforehand (piped music rather than a DJ I think). Just a small thing but I remember it because I thought this was very impressive as the album hadn't been out very long and this song wasn't even a single. The bar (I think there was only one) also had real ale back then. What more could you want?

More recently, the favourite would be the La's - mainly because I thought I'd missed my chance ever to see them live and was very pleased that the Leadmill had booked them on what was a very short tour.

Also the Libertines, Delays and Franz were excellent.

David Gedge of the Wedding Present said at their April gig there something along the lines of 'the Leadmill is the best live venue in the world'. Although I suspect he may say that everywhere he plays, it did sound like he meant it. Near the start of their set, some middle aged bloke in the crowd shouted out 'I love you Gedgey!' really loud. That made me laugh.

The Marion gig in October 1995 - the most fantastically brilliant gig I've been to - anywhere, ever :thumbsup:

Followed closely by

The Manics in August 1991. Put on a wonderful performance despite/because of 90% of the crowd being actively hostile towards them. Ahhhhh - those were the days.....

I must also add the 1994 gig by Peter Perrett (with his then new band The One). Incredibly emotional - Peter just walked through the crowd to get to the stage (walked right by me!). You could hear the crowd go "oh" in unison, then a total hush fell over the place, in total reverence for the great man, like we couldn't believe he was really there. Such an emotional night - I love the Only Ones songs to pieces, and I NEVER thought I'd ever have the chance to see Peter Perrett live - or even (a)live, let's be honest, following his long, long battle with heroin addiction. The man is a musical genius, and I felt really privileged to be present at that gig.

StarSparkle

Always loved the Leadmill, having seen it from both sides, as paying punter and as a performer.

so here's the list.....

1992- Rollins band, utterly awesome performance and Rollins was so frighteningly mesmerising I hardly dare move from the spot.

1993- 2 til 10 , we supported Sheffield's hot thing of the moment, Various Vegetables, and to this day I joke that the reason they split wasnt going to college, it was realising we'd blown them offstage :heyhey:

1994- Electrafixion. led by Ian Maculloch, possibly the coolest man on the planet, watching him glide effortlessly to the mic in soundcheck and launch into 'sister pain' is an image that will stay with me forever. Tinged with sadness though as that was the penultimate 2 til 10 gig, we went out on a high with that support slot but the dream was over and the band split.

other notables...

Black Grape.. absolutely heaving in the main room, hot and sweaty night of sheer hedonism and watching my mate rich, a normally shy and retiring sort, going mental in the moshpit.

Blue Aeroplanes... supported by Plastic, with ex 2 til 10 drummer dave murray behind the kit, a night of nostalgic reunions.

My Vitriol. I interviewed them on their tourbus outside the Leadmill, thoroughly lovely people and they played an amazing and blistering show.

here's to the next 25 years, and hopefully a slot for the Grosse Konig project, watch this space for further details.... :heyhey:

Archived