Have we let the Police down?

I wonder how many have criticised the police and members of the justice system as being part of the 'bloated public sector'?

These are the people who try to protect you from the criminals when you're hiding under the duvet praying to a God you don't believe in. Of course you people have let the police down, these men and women are unwilling tools of a political agenda and you're happy to latch on to them like ticks on a dog.

Shame on the hypocrites.

The police are thin on the ground. Unfortunately, your money doesn't go that far and besides, if communities rallied together and worked with the police, they would have an easier job.

Look at the images on your tv, people are out in force protecting their neighbourhoods.

The experience of the police from most in the community is either ringing them up to get a crime number so you can claim on your insurance, or receiving a driving related fine.

You could replace the police force with a call centre in india to issue crime reference numbers and an automatic mailing systems beside royal mail depots wirelessly connected to the local speed cameras..

Look at the images on your tv, people are out in force protecting their neighbourhoods.

The experience of the police from most in the community is either ringing them up to get a crime number so you can claim on your insurance, or receiving a driving related fine.

You could replace the police force with a call centre in india to issue crime reference numbers and an automatic mailing systems beside royal mail depots wirelessly connected to the local speed cameras..

Maybe that has something to do with the little resources they have. You are pretty naive to blame them for that, or just maybe you use it as an excuse to hate the police.

Recently it appears the police, particularly the Met, have let the police service down, and in the process alienated the public. Unfortunately the few bad apples have smeared the reputation of the whole police service, most of whom do a difficult and often thankless job, only to be told by the politicians that they need to work harder and longer. It's hardly surprising they are demoralised, and may be reluctant to 'go in hard' when they know if they are injured they'll just be another statistic, but if the people they're facing are injured it will be another case of 'unjustified police heavy-handedness'.

I think they are doing a decent job, however they could do with more support, getting the army involved would i assume me people feel safer before it progresses into civil war.

Cameron I guess won't allow that. Bringing in the military will be seen as a defeat and a vote of no confidence towards the police.

Cameron I guess won't allow that. Bringing in the military will be seen as a defeat and a vote of no confidence towards the police.

True, and since the Police haven't even got out half their toys yet, the army isn't required! The Police are just being held back and should have been let loose 3 days ago...

It may be that the police are taking advice from other agencies. Psychologically the police may just be working a strategy. Go lightly initially and lull the perps into a false sense of security..then whack!

Also CCTV could be the weapon. Let the looters do their stuff and round them up individually later. That way the police don't get accused of heavy handidness, then make massive arrests followed by wide coverage (name n shame) on national TV.

Radio 4 earlier were saying that many in the cells in London are not kids, not Blacks but academics, financiers and recently respectable members of the public with no previous.

Recently it appears the police, particularly the Met, have let the police service down, and in the process alienated the public. Unfortunately the few bad apples have smeared the reputation of the whole police service, most of whom do a difficult and often thankless job, only to be told by the politicians that they need to work harder and longer. It's hardly surprising they are demoralised, and may be reluctant to 'go in hard' when they know if they are injured they'll just be another statistic, but if the people they're facing are injured it will be another case of 'unjustified police heavy-handedness'.

Really? How about:

"There have recently been accusations against senior members of he Metropolitan force which have lead to the resignation (albeit not the prosecution or conviction) of senior personnel."

That covers the facts in the article, doesn't it?

The remainder is just unsubstantiated waffle.

When I was a child you had respect for the police because if you didn’t you would get a clip round the back of the head. We have gone do soft with all these “Do Gooders” and now we are paying the price. I cannot blame the police for standing back to save themselves from prosecution; we really need to support them more.

On this thread people are mentioning that they should spend more time on serious crime instead of speeding of “soft” drugs but a crime is a crime, you cannot cherry pick which crime you should get away with.

I would like water cannons to be used and the government to back the police in any decisions and actions (within reason) they choose. If an officer warns a rioting crowd then shoots a rubber bullet and it kills/injures one, well to be honest they was breaking the law.

Archived