Have we let the Police down?

I blame those at the top; those decision makers in the police force and in successive governments. For one reason or another, they don't seem to have much of a clue about the nature of the criminals they're supposed to control.

I also blame the courts for the same reason; for many years they seem to have adopted a process of recycling-get the offenders back onto the street as quickly as possible where they can continue to make lives miserable with impunity.

It'll be interesting to see how this current crop of high profile anti-social criminals is dealt with. Will this be yet another opportunity missed?

You have seen the hatred and negativity against the police on here. It's a shame people don't get behind our officers by supporting them in their difficult job.

It's very difficult to get behind something that we very rarely see. However on reflection, Sheffield is the 4th largest UK city, and hasn't suffered the riots that other cities have. I'm beginning to think that South Yorkshire Police's 'soft touch' approach to policing young folk and ethnic minorities, might actually work.

A lot of folk are quite understandably advocating giving the police more powers to deal with these sort of events, however perhaps they should be asking what South Yorkshire Police have done to avoid such events.

Archived