Etiquette from parents on days out with kids.

Dear Forummers

I took my 12 year-old boy to Alton Towers today with two of his mates from school. One I know well, the other I had never set eyes on before. The hope was that they would go on the rides so that I didn't have to. That didn't quite go to plan.

I had 2 for 1 tickets sorted so they got in for £20 each. First the A52 was closed due to an accident and then there was a mess-up with a line of us queing for 90 minutes to buy tickets, we complained and got a fast-track pass for all the main rides. This easily saved us the time that we wasted queing. The day started bad but turned good.

The boys said thanks and were well behaved but my point is, that if someone had taken my boy on a day out like that, I would have offered something towards expenses or at least phoned to say thanks after the event. I got a wave from one lad's mother when I dropped him off and that was it.

Am I being unreasonable? If I had been offered money, I would probably have declined and told them to spend it but it would have been nice to acknowledged in some way.

Maybe the parents will reciprocate your kind act, and pay you back that way.

Regards

Angel.

I used to think that too. Unfortunately, years of experience have taught me otherwise. However, I still take my daughter and her friends to different places and provide lifts when other parents seem to be too busy time and time again.

Maybe the parents will reciprocate your kind act, and pay you back that way.

Regards

Angel.

One parent hasn't in months. I pick-up his child constantly becauese he is unemployed. If I didn't, my boy would lose out. The other 'new' child has a parent who is a builder with a livery van so I may get something offered in return but a thank-you from a parent would have been enough.

I'm sorry to hear about the shabby way in which you were treated. Some people are very rude.

Perhaps it's not much, but you can pat yourself on the back for teaching the guest kids an elementary lesson in common courtesy ... one which they are (it appears) unlikely to learn from their parents!

Hopefully your son's friends will learn from you ... it appears they are unlikely to do so from their parents.

If I had a child I wouldn't expect their friends parents to pay for them to get into theme parks and would make sure they went with enough money in the first place.

With this in mind, in your position I would expect said child/parent of child to offer me the money to get in before we even set off - i'm happy to pay petrol costs, and I would probably tell them to hold onto the ticket money, but i'd expect the initial offer anyway.

Archived