Etiquette from parents on days out with kids.

The OP is a bit ambiguous , it states they paid £20 so we must assume they had some money, it then goes on to talk about expenses ……. What expenses?. If you were going anyway it doesn’t cost any more if you have a car full of kids.

A wave or a cheers is all I would expect from their parents, after all my kids would be gaining from having their mates with them, isn’t that what its all about.

Edit

It doesnt say they paid ...... "they got in for £20 each"

Even my own step grandchildren( i hate that term) turn up with money for the cinemas when i take them.

Some people just have no sense of respect imho.

An offer of a contribution although often rejected is pleasant to receive.

PLus a nice phonecall of "gratitude" isn't really too much to expect. Unless they thanked you in advance when it was arranged.

There is absolutely no excuse for the parents not thanking you for taking the kids out for the day. I would certainly be a bit miffed if I was you.

If I was the child's parent, I would have offered at least the admission fee, and something towards lunch - it is just common courtesy.

Are you absolutely sure that the parents hadn't given the child the money to pass on to you, maybe they had, and the kids had misunderstood and thought it was their spending money.

I would be tempted to drop a sarcastic comment to the parents of the kids, something along the lines of "OH, I am SO glad little Johnny had a lovely free day out - I would love it if someone could take my kid out for the day!" :hihi:

"OH, I am SO glad little Johnny had a lovely free day out - I would love it if someone could take my kid out for the day!" :hihi:

But did they have a free day out, I have read it again and it’s not clear what the OP is moaning about, what “expenses” :confused:, if they didn’t contribute to the admission then that’s bang out of order.

But did they have a free day out, I have read it again and it’s not clear what the OP is moaning about, what “expenses” :confused:, if they didn’t contribute to the admission then that’s bang out of order.

I don't think the OP received anything from the parents. Even if they had paid something towards admission and lunch etc - it's still bang out of order not to offer a thank-you, or maybe bought her a nice bottle of wine.

Maybe the parents will reciprocate your kind act, and pay you back that way.

Regards

Angel.

Don't hold your breath. :hihi:

To the OP. No, you aren't being unreasonable. This has happened to me more times than I care to count. When another parent has generously offered to take one of my children someplace for the day, I always offered either gas money or to pay for lunch for everyone.

I don't know what some parents are thinking. Some kids would show up with just enough money to get in. Huh? Are we supposed to eat in front of them? Of course, I always bought the other child lunch, how could I not?

I cannot tell you how many times my daughter would beg, "pleeease, can we pick up so and so??? Their mom, dad, grandma, etc. says they can go if they have a ride?" Ok, sure. Only to arrive at the house and find mom's or grandma's car in the driveway. They just didn't feel like taking the kid themselves! Worse yet, is giving 10 other kids a ride somewhere and having my child call after the event to be picked up. Ten other parents whose kids got free transportation there and not ONE could take my daughter home as a favor?! :rant:

The worst was a birthday party at a local children's park for one of my children where a guest called and asked if her mother might come. Of course, only one extra person, right? The day of the event, mom shows up with four of her other grandchildren in tow. We had to pay admission for everyone, pay for their lunch, and tickets for the extra kids to go on the rides. :help:

All I can say is get used to it. Some parents are considerate, most are oblivious.

Archived