Can you get nicked by the cops for driving at 80mph?

As the title says, would the cops do you if you were driving at 80mph?

Was on the motorway driving at 80, and many cars were going far faster that I was, some cars must have been doing over 100mph.

I rarely drive on the motorway, however the speed merchants must do this day in, day out. Do they know where the cops hang out?

Is there a speed you can go at where the cops will leave you alone, after all, not many people were driving at 70mph today

The people doing 90mph or 100mph must do that day in day out, and must have done it for years.

Is it a case of being aware where the police are located, or the cameras?

I drove at 80mph between Meadowhall and the Chesterfield turn off and must admit thinking I hope I'm not in trouble

The people doing 90mph or 100mph must do that day in day out, and must have done it for years.

Is it a case of being aware where the police are located, or the cameras?

I drove at 80mph between Meadowhall and the Chesterfield turn off and must admit thinking I hope I'm not in trouble

If you think that and you know you are breaking the law why not just slow down 10 mph,only a fool would continue to do so if they were that worried:loopy:

If the others drove they car over the edge of Tinsley viaduct would you follow ?

On a motorway in good conditions it is highly unlikely the police will pull you over for doing 80 mph unless you either overtake them when they're doing 70, or you don't notice them following you for half a mile or so.

Having said that there appear to be far fewer police on the motorway these days and speed control is largely being taken over by the overhead gantries with speed cameras like these;

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=motorway+speed+gantries&hl=en&biw=1024&bih=677&gbv=2&tbm=isch&tbnid=iUTqyhoJ02qr7M:&imgrefurl=http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/projects/10970.htm&docid=qEIt8tVT2JCJcM&w=250&h=211&ei=TcNBTo6XBNC88gOe_czVCQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=178&vpy=290&dur=96&hovh=168&hovw=200&tx=84&ty=96&page=6&tbnh=159&tbnw=188&start=53&ndsp=12&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:53

I'm pretty sure you would be done driving at 80mph if caught, but agree that many do get away with it. Makes me feel like a bit of a slowpoke as I do stick to the limits (and most of the time have kids in the car).

However, I've heard of the 10% allowance for overtaking (as in, you could go up to 10% more than the speed limit in order to overtake another vehicle safely). On the motorway, for example, this could mean you could drive at up to 77mph in order to safely overtake a car in the lane to your left.

Also, I've heard that anything above 90mph would result in a definite ban.

Most areas in which speed cameras are located feature signs to this effect, whether these are static, temporary or patrol-based speed cameras.

Keeping an eye on the brake lights of cars ahead of you on the motorway can also provide clues. But of course, the best advice is to stick to the limits in the first place =]

As the title says, would the cops do you if you were driving at 80mph?

Was on the motorway driving at 80, and many cars were going far faster that I was, some cars must have been doing over 100mph.

I rarely drive on the motorway, however the speed merchants must do this day in, day out. Do they know where the cops hang out?

Is there a speed you can go at where the cops will leave you alone, after all, not many people were driving at 70mph today

80 miles an hour is a comfortable speed for most regular motorway users but as the speed limit is 70 miles per hour you can get a speeding fine for doing so. Sometimes breaking the speed limit is the sensible thing to do on motorways and I believe the authorities are aware of this so choose not to be heavy handed in enforcing this rule.

Archived