Can you get nicked by the cops for driving at 80mph?

As others have said: "It depends".

Do you know how fast you were going? (As opposed to "how fast your speedometer says you were going?")

AFAIK EU law allows that "a functional speedometer may over-read by 10% + 2 units and under-read by 0". (I was told that, I can't cite a regulation.)snip...

... The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, as amended, allows the use of speedometers that meet the requirements of EC Community Directive 75/443(97/39) or ECE Regulation 39. These requirements state that the indicated speed must never be less than the true speed and no more than 10% + 2mph. These requirements insure that a driver cannot unknowingly exceed the speed indicated on the speedometer...

jb .

The police might not but if you are heading south after Nottingham then the cameras on the gantrys probably would.
Doing 80 in an average 50 limit area, of course they would - but not if you were doing under 60 on the clock.

Doing 80 in an average 50 limit area, of course they would - but not if you were doing under 60 on the clock.

The cameras on on a 70mph stretch of motorway...if they are like the ones on the M25 then they'll only be active when the overhead signs display a lower than 70 speed limit..

I drove down to northampton on Monday and drove at 80-90 mph regularly when it was safe to do so. Am I likely to get a ticket from the overhead cameras on the gantries? I have had a perfectly clean license for 15 years and am worried that if each one got me - then am likely to lose my licence. Any sensible help gratefully received.

<snip>

I have also been told (by a British traffic policeman) that - where road and weather conditions allow - then unless they have been told to 'crack down' on speeding, where the speed limit is the 'National Limit (60mph for single-carriageway roads and 70mph for [most] dual-carriageways and motorways), they tend to allow drivers to exceed the speed limit by about 10% + 2. <snip>

I was told the same, many years ago, by a South Yorkshire policeman who was demonstrating their speed radar type equipment at a "roadshow" type event in Rotherham. But he said that at the time Derbyshire police had a lower limit (just the 10% IIRC, but it was a long time ago), so you would be pulled at a lower speed in Derbyshire. This was probably over 20 years ago, so their guidelines may have changed.

It seems odd that police should allow 10% + 2 over the limit, and at the same time speedometers are allowed to over-read by 10% + 2, also. The same numbers, but they seem to be contradictory.

I drove down to northampton on Monday and drove at 80-90 mph regularly when it was safe to do so. Am I likely to get a ticket from the overhead cameras on the gantries? I have had a perfectly clean license for 15 years and am worried that if each one got me - then am likely to lose my licence. Any sensible help gratefully received.

No idea but there are plenty of warning signs up for the cameras, I stuck to 70 last time I went through them. It might just be warning signs with no cameras to get people to slow down, there are plenty of signs around here saying cameras and there are no cameras to be seen.

No idea but there are plenty of warning signs up for the cameras, I stuck to 70 last time I went through them. It might just be warning signs with no cameras to get people to slow down, there are plenty of signs around here saying cameras and there are no cameras to be seen.

There were cameras there while the fourth lane was being added (and you may already know that). Perhaps they were removed but the warning signs left up to try and persuade people to slow down.

Thats put my mind at rest.

Many of the cars that were doing 100mph were Vectras and Mondeos, these vehicles are driven by sales reps who must charge up and down the motorway everyday as part of their job.

Liitle me was driving from junct 34 to 29 in a metro, so hopefully I should be safe

Archived