Does household insurance cover riots?

The whole point of this thread is that you can't insure against riot and civil commotion. It's specifically excluded from all household and business insurance policies.

So does anyone mind helping those affected many of whom have lost everything?

The whole point of this thread is that you can't insure against riot and civil commotion. It's specifically excluded from all household and business insurance policies.

So does anyone mind helping those affected many of whom have lost everything?

I took out contents insurance yesterday and it definitely covers riot, civil unrest, arson etc. as I live in London and checked before buying for obvious reasons! It's a bog standard policy from Endsleigh.

I think people would be willing to pay IF the people who caused this also paid the correct price, not a slap on the wrist.

Don't confuse criminal law and civil law.

CRIMINAL: wrongdoer is prosecuted by Crown/CPS/etc. Victim is, at most, a witness. Object if convicted: punishment. However, a Compensation Order is amongst the possible sentences.

CIVIL: wrongdoer is sued by victim. Object if found liable: to return victim to financial position as if the wrong ('tort') had not been done. The aim is therefore damages.

Even shops are now preferring to sue ('civil recovery') rather than prosecute. For a start, the victim's in charge; plus the standard of proof required is lower ('balance of probabilities' as against 'beyond reasonable doubt').

Archived