Cheese .. anyone make their own?

Just wondered if anyone on here made their own cheese? Does anyone know where to buy the necessary equipment? Where can you buy rennet etc?

Any advice at all would be helpful. Ta! :)

What sort of cheese? You got livestock and land? Or you planning to do it by purchasing milk?

What sort of cheese? You got livestock and land? Or you planning to do it by purchasing milk?

No, I don't have livestock ... can I make it from bog standard supermarket milk or should I see about buying fresh milk from a farm? :huh:

No, I don't have livestock ... can I make it from bog standard supermarket milk or should I see about buying fresh milk from a farm? :huh:

I guess so. I would be inclined to have a chat with a local dairy farmer. They might be able to help and advise you or even supply you with bulk fresh milk.

You can make cheese from pasteurised milk (as in bog standard supermarket milk) as long as it's full fat, unless you're wanting to make Parmesan, which is made with milk which has had some of the cream removed.

Unless you're making mini Babybels it will take rather a lot of milk though ;)

The simplest cheeses are really easy and fast, but they come out more like cottage cheese than what most people understand as cheese. If you want something that looks and tastes like any of the hard cheeses then you'll need access to some dairy equipment, including moulds and some seriously heavy duty press equipment to compress the curds and remove whey. Milk, rennet and salt are all that's needed for basic cheese recipes, but the expense is likely to be in the kit if you want to make one of the hard cheeses.

The difference between the texture of different hard cheeses is got with the sizes of the curds which are chopped out of the whey, the way that they are moulded and pressed, and the curing time and conditions.

I guess so. I would be inclined to have a chat with a local dairy farmer. They might be able to help and advise you or even supply you with bulk fresh milk.

No no, you misunderstand me! (or I haven't made it plain) I just want to make cheese for my own consumption ... I don't need fresh milk in bulk. :)

You can make cheese from pasteurised milk (as in bog standard supermarket milk) as long as it's full fat, unless you're wanting to make Parmesan, which is made with milk which has had some of the cream removed.

Unless you're making mini Babybels it will take rather a lot of milk though ;)

The simplest cheeses are really easy and fast, but they come out more like cottage cheese than what most people understand as cheese. If you want something that looks and tastes like any of the hard cheeses then you'll need access to some dairy equipment, including moulds and some seriously heavy duty press equipment to compress the curds and remove whey. Milk, rennet and salt are all that's needed for basic cheese recipes, but the expense is likely to be in the kit if you want to make one of the hard cheeses.

The difference between the texture of different hard cheeses is got with the sizes of the curds which are chopped out of the whey, the way that they are moulded and pressed, and the curing time and conditions.

Good information ... thanks! So I need a cheese press then? I don't want to make cottage cheese. Is there anywhere in Sheffield I can get this equipment from or has anyone got a press for sale?

What is that really simple cheese that takes minutes to make? I think I have seen it on an Asian cookery programme. OK it might take a white to set but it is a white cheese that is crumbly. I think adding things like this to the dinner table is so impressive. If anyone can think of the name of this cheese I would be grateful.

I am addicted to a cheese made close to where I grew up in Ireland. My sister is a teacher and took her class on a tour of where it is made. It turns out the wife of a farmer whose farm was slowly failing went on a course and started making it out of the blue (Get it, blue? Cheese?) I love stories like that though. I mean, good on here. It is such a lovely cheddar, wrapped in wax. I bring loads of it back! That and of course Taytos and Irish smoked salmon!

Archived