Does muscle really weigh more than fat?

Or in other words, muscle is denser than fat.

Density of muscle 1.06Kg/L

Density of fat 0.9Kg/L (this is why fat people are better at floating).

jb

cant say ive ever gone round asking random people to float. is it bad that i really really want to go and ask them to do it thou? lol

Or in other words, muscle is denser than fat.

Density of muscle 1.06Kg/L

Density of fat 0.9Kg/L (this is why fat people are better at floating).

jb

I have always been overweight and didn’t learn to swim properly until well into adulthood ………. I can tell you fat people certainly don’t float. :hihi:

I have always been overweight and didn’t learn to swim properly until well into adulthood ………. I can tell you fat people certainly don’t float. :hihi:

Fat is less dense than water, hence it floats. Your inability to float may be down to your overall body density being higher than that of water. Big bones maybe?

On a related note one way to measure body fat is to weigh yourself in and out of water.

jb

This thread is what makes me think BMI is such a load of dogs goolies!!!! I need to get my bmi from 33 to 29. To do this i need to lose just over 2 stone. BUT when i exercise as well as slimming world i dont lose weight!!! In fact i even gain weight, even though im losing inches! When i dont exercise and just strictly diet i lose weight!! So how the hell does a doctor telling a person to lose bmi encourage exercising! It doesnt! After speaking to a gym instructor he says hes angry my doctor told me to try crash diets like lighterlife to lower my bmi rather than encouraging exercise!

Fat is less dense than water, hence it floats. Your inability to float may be down to your overall body density being higher than that of water. Big bones maybe?

On a related note one way to measure body fat is to weigh yourself in and out of water.

He just doesnt kick his legs or moves his arms :D

Archived