Does muscle really weigh more than fat?

a lb of fat weighs the same as a lb of muscle but the muscle is more compact so while weight may stay the same the body would become smaller if fat was decreasing and the muscle mass was increasing

agreed 1lb of fat is the same as 1lb of muscle, however if you have say 1/2 a square meter of fat, and 1/2 a square meter of muscle then the muscle will way more than the fat

agreed 1lb of fat is the same as 1lb of muscle, however if you have say 1/2 a square meter of fat, and 1/2 a square meter of muscle then the muscle will way more than the fat

A square meter is a measure of area not volume. For your analogy to work you need to use meters cubed (which is 1000 litres).

jb

This thread is what makes me think BMI is such a load of dogs goolies!!!! I need to get my bmi from 33 to 29. To do this i need to lose just over 2 stone. BUT when i exercise as well as slimming world i dont lose weight!!! In fact i even gain weight, even though im losing inches! When i dont exercise and just strictly diet i lose weight!! So how the hell does a doctor telling a person to lose bmi encourage exercising! It doesnt! After speaking to a gym instructor he says hes angry my doctor told me to try crash diets like lighterlife to lower my bmi rather than encouraging exercise!

BMI was developed as a means of measure obesity across populations and was never meant to be used in isolation for individuals.

jb

I was pondering this saying last night. Does anyone know if it is true?

I have lost quite a bit of weight over the last few months. More recently I have been doing a lot more exercise (cycling and walking) and noticed that my clothes are still getting looser (I've gone down at least 2 dress sizes).

I hadn't weighed myself for a while, but when I did last night I found I have gained about 5lbs, despite the fact that none of my clothes fit, I was a bit confused...

A ton of feathers and a ton of bricks weigh the same - but you will find fewer bricks make a ton as feathers... Muscle is denser, and so takes up less space but weighs the same as fat...

Seems you have a fairly unique metabolism though - It would normally take the loss of around a stone to drop a dress size, yet you have lost two sizes and gained almost half a stone? That doesn't sound right at all - I'd go to the drs just to be safe...

Archived