Teaching English Abroad - TEFL Express - is it worth it??

There's an interesting job going in Guangzhou, 13,000yuan for a month of work. 20 hours a week teaching teens. That sounds alright doesn't it? No flat though but they say it's 2000 a month for that. I've applied but will keep looking. Fingers crossed.

Good comments on it all round. I was tossing up whether to or not, after researching I think i will. I did consider a more expensive certification but yes flags, general consensus seems to be it'll get you to where you want to go if Asia or South America is your cup of tea. Since going to Vietnam n '05, Asia certainly is for me. Is there a TEFL Express deal still going?? I don't want to pay the 350 or whatever it is.

Seems to be going ahead. I sent all my details and had a skype call interview. I haven't had much experience teaching and I think they just wanted to make sure I wasn't wierd sounding. They didn't ask about the TEFL Express certificate. I'll hear back from them in a day or 2. :hihi:

• 4 weeks later...

33 Flags, Seems like you know about all this. I've finished my TEFL Express certificate as well. What do you think about 6000RMB in Shanghai?

Marky1, How long did it take you to do yours? Your feelings? I thought it was great fun and not as difficult as I thought it would be.

As I said, it took me 3 and a half months. I thought it was great overall. After a bit of research and getting people's opinions I reckon it's exactly what I need. It's more than enough to get out there and teach. Where are you going to teach Barry? Any plans?

6000 rmb in Shanghai is a bit low, unless your only doing 10 hours a week or something like that. With your qualification you should be aiming for at least 10. 12 to 15 in Shanghai is really nicely acceptable. Don't think that your tefl express certificate won't get you high salary as well. It doesn't matter.

Good to hear! I am about half way through and I was worried that maybe it couldn't be used. Looking about the place though I see that is not the case. It's not like I want to teach in the US. Asia or South America is where I'm going. The course itself is great, especially so that it's at my own pace. Kids are a burden sometimes! haha

Archived