Cold calling - please don't do this!

TPS only works for Landlines, not mobiles, it's also volutary, so not all companies ahere to it. However, if you do get a cold caller, and tell them that you're on TPS, even if you aren't, they usually c<REMOVED> themselves and hang straight up.

It does work for calls to mobiles but not text messages. From the page auto98uk linked to:

The TPS can accept the registration of mobile telephone numbers, however it is important to note that this will prevent the receipt of marketing voice calls but not SMS (text) messages.

Just need a little rant...

I've received at least 10 cold calls over the past few days all asking for a person who has never lived at my address.

I've asked where the businesses got my number and they told me they've got it from compare websites.

(

I decided to get some car Insurance quotes from the compare websites a few weeks ago.....remembering what happened last time - and still does happen in spates - relentless sales calls, sometimes 5 or 6 in the same evening...this time I used my other mobile phone number....and waited for it.....and waited....and can you believe it, after enquiring for quotes on 4 cars, that phone never rung once. But I'm still getting them on my main phone. So I don't think the Compare Sites can be blamed. Its still a bit of a mystery. At least I can solve the problem - just swap phones.

It is NOT voluntary - anyone making cold calls has to check against the list - and for small companies the list price is prohibitive.

http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/ :

It is a legal requirement that all organisations (including charities, voluntary organisations and political parties) do not make such calls to numbers registered on the TPS unless they have your consent to do so.

UNLESS they make the calls from outside the UK, like for example India?

I get this all the time Caroline and it is annoying they don`t even get my name right half the time my maiden name or my soon to be married name (well they always ask for my partners name but always call me Mrs). I don`t understand how they have got hold of our number as we are ex directory like most people today being on TPS does not always mean you will not recieve these kind of calls, even though it should it is so annoying if I don`t know a number now I have stopped picking the phone up luckily we have caller ID.

You should be able to report that many calls to the Police surely that is harassment, I hope you get it sorted soon as it is such a headache these marketing companioes should be stopped.

Emma x :love::thumbsup:

UNLESS they make the calls from outside the UK, like for example India?

Even if that is the case, if they have a registered office and operate as an entity in the UK, they are still required to screen with the TPS list.

Nothing to stop foreign companies outside the UK calling you though, or other more nefarious organisations.

Archived