Benefit systems

Just watching BBC News and they are at a refugee camp (In Ethiopia, full of Somalis) which gets lots and lots of aid, but the people interviewed had been there 20 years, but are still taking daily handouts of food, have free accommodation and health care.

I'm not against aid, but that seems a little bit better than the benefit system here since it's less regulated and no incentive to work?

I feel that there should be changes to the benefit system all round, they seem to be helping those that don`t want to help themselves and innocent, honest, hard workers are punished for being just that. I have very much experience of this and could rant on and on about it but I won`t.

The situation in Somalia and places is very very sad but they cannot help themselves they have no means to grow anything to farm to survive I think we will be helping them in 50 years time at this rate, it makes you wonder why God put people in countries like those such as Somalia, Sudan and Ethiopia in the first place.

Emma. x x :love::thumbsup:

but its very tricky to work in the middle of a civil war

...and yet the three strongest nations on earth who managed to defeat the Nazis in WW2 (Russia, USA and Britain) cannot send in a squadron of Paras, a few jets and tanks, and sort out this 10-year running sore once and for all...

What more evidence do we need to prove that Britain for one, MUST have the two new aircraft carriers now threatened by cutbacks?

I spoke to a cynical friend the other day, he described this as a holiday camp for the family of the Somali pirates and Muslim fundamentalists. As he said, how can they possibly be expected to support a family whilst out playing soldiers...

Just watching BBC News and they are at a refugee camp (In Ethiopia, full of Somalis) which gets lots and lots of aid, but the people interviewed had been there 20 years, but are still taking daily handouts of food, have free accommodation and health care.

I'm not against aid, but that seems a little bit better than the benefit system here since it's less regulated and no incentive to work?

The benefits system here is the best there is, we give out 2million pound homes with a bursary of £8000 per month to feed the family in it .I might add the family are Somali says it all really.

I don't think you can really compare the two

The benefit system here is often for individuals out of work, some (although not all) still have families and friends who can help them out, the community at large isn't in a desperate situation of starvation and famine.

In Ethiopia, there's quite a vast difference. In a way, you're not just supporting individuals, but entire communities. There couldn't really be any one to one assessment on if they have "found a way to support /feed their selves". Supporting a community is vastly different to supporting individuals, I don't think it's a fair comparison

...and yet the three strongest nations on earth who managed to defeat the Nazis in WW2 (Russia, USA and Britain) cannot send in a squadron of Paras, a few jets and tanks, and sort out this 10-year running sore once and for all...

What more evidence do we need to prove that Britain for one, MUST have the two new aircraft carriers now threatened by cutbacks?

Because there is nothing in it for them, eg oil.

I don't think you can really compare the two

The benefit system here is often for individuals out of work, some (although not all) still have families and friends who can help them out, the community at large isn't in a desperate situation of starvation and famine.

In Ethiopia, there's quite a vast difference. In a way, you're not just supporting individuals, but entire communities. There couldn't really be any one to one assessment on if they have "found a way to support /feed their selves". Supporting a community is vastly different to supporting individuals, I don't think it's a fair comparison

For 20 years that family had been there! From Somalia in Ethiopia...

Archived