I had a job interview today..

i have 4 kids with the benefit i am getting unless the job is £40k+ i will be no better off, much prefer having the time to bring my kids up right so they will not have to work at a supermarket checkout

The skills you learn being a check out person are invaluable.

You learn how to deal with difficult people all day, money management, organization, soft skills that most people need to function in any work environment (and not taught from a book), time management and just how to keep a job. A lot of these skills translate well into the office and non-retail environment as well.

Working as a cashier is a GREAT first job or a job getting you back into the swing of things. For some people, they are able to make it as a career (and more than just being a shift supervisor) by picking up other skills and moving around in departments.

Some of my best working memories is from being a check-out girl. Loved it so much.

To the OP congrats and enjoy your new job!

Archived