Ex-offenders posing a risk may get additional Housing Benefit

Oh the wonderful irony of the timing of this announcement, the country is experiencing the worst riots for many a year and a Prime Minister talking tough on the culprits of this criminality.

For those not familiar with the workings of Housing Benefit/Local Housing Allowance what this actually means is that from January people under the age of 35 may have their benefit reduced to the rate currently awarded to those under 25. In real terms in Sheffield this is the difference between having your claim based on a value of £88.85 per week and £60.00.

The new announcement details the exemptions to this and I’ve posted a copy of the information contained in the announcement below along with details of where the legislation can be viewed.

So there we have it, the Government are talking tough on the criminals but potentially giving them more Benefit than the law-abiding citizens unfortunate enough to lose their jobs.

“The age threshold for application of the SAR increases to 35 from 1 January 2012. Amending Regulations, SI 2011/1736 The Housing Benefit (Amendment) Regulations 2011 were made on 19 July and can be seen at: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2011/1736/contents/made

There will be two exemptions for the new age group:

homeless people who have slept rough or who are at risk of sleeping rough; and

ex-offenders who could pose a risk of serious harm to the public

We hope to issue further guidance in late September or early October on the application of these exemptions.”

i don't agree with this. i don't know how people can put a roof over their head for £260 a month.

I think that's pretty generous, £60 per week for doing bugger all. My brother even get's £5 'cash back' every week from his as his rent only costs £55.

i don't agree with this. i don't know how people can put a roof over their head for £260 a month.

I agree, the stupid thing is though if you were to become a violent offender you'd get £370.00 a month to find a home.

Complete and utter madness that criminals will be getting more Benefit than law abiding citizens.

Archived