Anti-Gay groups working with children.

If homosexuals views are to be respected so should the views of individuals and groups who do not agree with homosexuality.

I'll hate myself for this.....

Hitler had the "view" that Jewish people were sub-human, thats fine, he could think what he wanted, when he then went on to persecute them based on his "view" then that (obviously) wasn't fine.

You can think whatever you like, you can't however do whatever you like based on those thoughts.

Another factor is that there's a severe lack of provision for youth facilities. Religious groups do a lot of such youth work.

Now, at heart, some such religious groups have some degree of opposition or unease with homosexuality at some root level.

Personally, as long as that does not manifest at an overt level i.e. as long as they don't actively promote prejudice against homosexuals, I don't see it as necessarily a problem.

What would be a problem is if all religious groups who did not openly and actively embrace homosexuality were banned from youth work, then the provision for youth would plummet to levels of inadequacy even greater than it is currently.

The children shouldn't really be there in the first place.

Children should not be exposed to religion until they are at least sixteen.

Then they can make their own choices and not be brainwashed or conditioned into believing whatever their parents believe.

There is no such thing as a "muslim child" "catholic child" "sikh child". Just a child whose had their parents beliefs forced on them and not being able to make their own decision.

How are you going to enforce this-no baptism,school,asemblies,Xmas etc.Sounds like you will need a miracle mush

Another factor is that there's a severe lack of provision for youth facilities. Religious groups do a lot of such youth work.

Now, at heart, some such religious groups have some degree of opposition or unease with homosexuality at some root level.

Personally, as long as that does not manifest at an overt level i.e. as long as they don't actively promote prejudice against homosexuals, I don't see it as necessarily a problem.

What would be a problem is if all religious groups who did not openly and actively embrace homosexuality were banned from youth work, then the provision for youth would plummet to levels of inadequacy even greater than it is currently.

I don't have a problem with religious groups doing charitable work or in them offering youth provision provided they can leave their own discrimination at the door. Even if they can't, I agree it would be a shame to stop a service that benefits hundreds of kids because one or two may feel uneasy. There is religious indoctrination happening all over the place. I just have concerns because of my own experiences. I'm also old enough to remember Clause 28.

I have spoken to the Sally Army about this via email but haven't had a response from Woodhouse Forum who ran the advert for the childrens' playscheme in their newsletter, which is where I first picked-up the issue.

I'd just go elsewhere.

Which would just help to reinforce their bigoted views.

Bigotry, racism, homophobia should be challenged in the courts when there are laws in place to stop such discrimination.

Presumably you were aiming for "God made Adam and Eve, not Steve"?

Which wasn't particularly funny the first time I heard/read it.

Which would just help to reinforce their bigoted views.

Bigotry, racism, homophobia should be challenged in the courts when there are laws in place to stop such discrimination.

Indeed. One day soon, my daughter may actually be able to marry the person she loves.

I see that Dave (with the wheel) has totally destroyed your logic so I don't need to.

[Quite the opposite.

Ok. You said if any minority group are allowed their views/rights, then opposing views should also be legitimate. Just think about that for a minute and get back to me.

Ok. You said if any minority group are allowed their views/rights, then opposing views should also be legitimate. Just think about that for a minute and get back to me.

It seems we live in crazy times were some opinions clearly have more weight than others.

So, it's clearly ok to have opinions or beliefs, as long as they fit the prescribed paradigm.

Fail to adhere to the "rules" labels you a bigot!

Archived