Anti-Gay groups working with children.

both you and i know the answer to that. and both you and i know that if their 'official' response would be the former they wouldn't be allowed to get within a mile of kids. there are many other organisations whose standing on the matter is similar but they know to be sensitive if they are to survive in our society.

the salvation army does a lot of good work, we can't judge them by what they might do. otherwise we'd have to do it with every other organisation.

what would you suggest be done in this time when cuts etc are digging into youth project and whatnot?

Hey, the church is still coming to terms with the level of abuse meted out by priests to children.

Deal with kids how exactly? Do you have children? Are any of them gay?

deal with kids in the same way a shopkeeper deals with customers, a teacher with students etc. when they have kids club the deal with kids, is what i meant. yes, i have kids. the girl is eight the boy is 2, so i don't know if either one is gay. but, again, not sure why that would have any bearing on what the SA do. again, what would you suggest be done?

deal with kids in the same way a shopkeeper deals with customers, a teacher with students etc. when they have kids club the deal with kids, is what i meant. yes, i have kids. the girl is eight the boy is 2, so i don't know if either one is gay. but, again, not sure why that would have any bearing on what the SA do. again, what would you suggest be done?

Shopkeepers don't tend to build relationships with children. Youth workers do. Would you feel ok with a teacher that was anti-gay teaching your children?

I think that the originally point was a good one though it seems that the debate in the thread is very polarised. I think that with the whole Big Society thing there is an expectation that more and more services will be provided by faith groups. I am not religious myself but see a lot of benefit to others from religion. However, we have to deal with the fact that some religious or other groups providing community services may also subsribe to views that may people in the community would have a real issue with. I think it's something that needs to be talked about. In terms of my own personal views I am dissappointed to see the number of responses who are in support of people withholding services etc from gay people.

Shopkeepers don't tend to build relationships with children. Youth workers do. Would you feel ok with a teacher that was anti-gay teaching your children?

Anyone remember Clause 28? Few normal people batted an eyelid about that...

I love it how children are now involved in this conversation. They always pop up in any gay thread (eventually).

there are thousands, i bet, of anti gay teachers. many racist, many sexist and many more bigoted in many different ways, but they have a job to do, and as long as they do it the right way then i have no issue with them. it's just what it is.

someone could say they don't want their kid taught by a gay teacher, who, by extension, believes it's ok to be gay. would that be worse than anyone saying they don't want their kid taught by a straight teacher who thinks it's wrong to be gay?

if sexuality comes into it then there should be, and are, set ways to deal with it.

how else would the world work if only the most 'enlighted' are allowed any jobs that put them in contact with kids?

I think that the originally point was a good one though it seems that the debate in the thread is very polarised. I think that with the whole Big Society thing there is an expectation that more and more services will be provided by faith groups. I am not religious myself but see a lot of benefit to others from religion. However, we have to deal with the fact that some religious or other groups providing community services may also subsribe to views that may people in the community would have a real issue with. I think it's something that needs to be talked about. In terms of my own personal views I am dissappointed to see the number of responses who are in support of people withholding services etc from gay people.

not sure anyone is saying services should be witheld from gay people. i, for one, would raise hell at anuone who says as such.

the point is, though, that any group( religious, companies, charities etc) have some sort of agenda when they 'help'. that is why we have laws to make sure they don't descriminate. they have to work to those rules.

and, for the most part, they do. when they don't the law steps in.

if someone is that violently opposed to some parts of the groups' edicts they can simply opt out and find a better one. i would force myself, or my kids, on a group run by the BNP or some such. should the same apply if you feel a group's rules on gay people is not right?

Yes if failure is to think that faggots, dykes, sluts, cripples, pakis and babes can be outside of the paradigm.

There are people who believe that repatriation is ok, that gays can be 'cured' that children like sex with adults. Should they be given weight?

What about the views of the minority?

Are you advocating that the views of those who disagree with you are disregarded ?

I don't think Salvationists use the language or have views which you describe above and find it quite disturbing that you do.

Archived