Indicators on cars

Next rant: indicators at roundabouts.

Once entering/on roundabout, signal:

a. LEFT if you're taking first/next exit;

b. nothing if you're going straight on (i.e. signal left only once you're passing last exit before yours); or

c. RIGHT if you'll be taking an exit more than 180 degrees around it (i.e. cancel this signal once you're 180 degrees from your exit; and signal left only once you're passing last exit before yours).

AND observe lane discipline too.

Unfortunately, the driving instructors in my area teach their pupils to signal right when approaching the r/b and then at the last moment signal left, when in fact they are going straight on.

Very confusing if your behind them and want to go straight on yourself....

you end up being cut up.

Unless you hang back and see where they go.

Imagine the scene ...

Traffic lights.

Two lanes of traffic. LHL straight on and left turn. RHL straight on and right turn.

Cars queue in both lanes.

Lights turn green.

Cars move forward, but car in RHL stops and then indicates right.

All the drivers parked behind curse as they miss a lights sequence.

Lack of indicating at numerous right hand turns in Sheffield seems to have become an epidemic recently. I'm sure some drivers are doing it deliberately.

Next rant: indicators at roundabouts.

Once entering/on roundabout, signal:

a. LEFT if you're taking first/next exit;

b. nothing if you're going straight on (i.e. signal left only once you're passing last exit before yours); or

c. RIGHT if you'll be taking an exit more than 180 degrees around it (i.e. cancel this signal once you're 180 degrees from your exit; and signal left only once you're passing last exit before yours).

AND observe lane discipline too.

There is a lengthy thread somewhere about people that don’t know what the left-hand lane is for on a Motorway exit slip road, perhaps they could take a tip from your post. :D

Archived