Indicators on cars

You may as well use your indicators whether someone is around or not. Doesn't exactly do any harm if you do, but it could potentially do harm if you don't.

I agree. The fact that one cannot see anybody nearby does NOT mean that nobody's nearby enough to be hurt.

Always signal.

You may as well use your indicators whether someone is around or not. Doesn't exactly do any harm if you do, but it could potentially do harm if you don't.

The unnecessary, unthought-out signal itself may not harm but an unplanned, unsystematic and sub-conscious style of driving that allows superfluous signals may end up being a problem.

So it is always better to look and assess whether a signal will be of benefit, what signal to give and when AND take the time to see whether your signal has been responded to in any way (is it still OK to do what you planned to do?)

They are trying to save electric! After all thinnk of all that wasted electricity using indicators, lights etc.

The unnecessary, unthought-out signal itself may not harm but an unplanned, unsystematic and sub-conscious style of driving that allows superfluous signals may end up being a problem.

So it is always better to look and assess whether a signal will be of benefit, what signal to give and when AND take the time to see whether your signal has been responded to in any way (is it still OK to do what you planned to do?)

I assume you also believe this applies to the use of lights at night? If there is nobody there and you can see with the streetlights why bother turning your lights on?

Failing to signal, even if there is no other visible road user is driving without due care and attention, and it is about time Mr Plod enforced the law.

I assume you also believe this applies to the use of lights at night? If there is nobody there and you can see with the streetlights why bother turning your lights on?

Failing to signal, even if there is no other visible road user is driving without due care and attention, and it is about time Mr Plod enforced the law.

Entirely different scenarios.

On your first point, no I don't. I drive with my lights on pretty much all the time - I like to be seen.

On your second, you are wrong, I'm afraid. If there is no-one around to benefit from a signal how will the PC be around to see and judge "driving without due care" and enforce a law, imaginary or not?

It's not like driving at night (or heavy rain, fog, etc) without lights. You have your lights on because there is reduced visibility due to the conditions.

My driving instructor taught me to not use signals when there is nobody around. It's probably a bad mark on your test for using your signals unnecessarily. It's definitely not illegal to not signal when there is nobody else around & even if it was how could the police ever catch anybody for it?

You should be aware of what is around you when driving, especially when you're doing a manoeuvre that might require a signal. If you can't see what's around you or don't look, then you shouldn't be driving.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived