Will I be able to make a lasagne to be table ready in twenty-four hours?

eurovision

Making lasagne is just wonderful, isn't it? I often don't see the point in cooking. Like today I ordered a chicken Caesar wrap and the woman in the deli exhausted me just looking at her as she made it. But lasagne, I would spend making this forever. It is so therapeutic. Henderson’s relish in there too of course.

I agree about the therapeutic benefits of making lasagne. I thinks it's because you can cook it in stages, taking time over the ragu, taking time over the béchamel sauce, taking time baking etc which leave plenty of time wine drinking :)

I don't like to chop an onion unless there is a glass of red nearby.

One question about your version. Doesn't baking it, leaving it in the fridge overnight then reheating leave the cheese topping a bit overdone and claggy? If you've already baked it so the top is lovely and golden and melted then it seems odd to let it cool then reheat. Or do just sprinkle grated cheese over the top for the reheating stage?

Bloomin 'eck mate.....just pop to your local supermarket and buy the sauce....I get the red and white lasagna sauce....and WHOLEMEAL lasagna.

But that's just the start. I buy the cheapest mince from Tesco....800grm for about £2. Which I fry with an well chopped onion....and then drain off all the fat.....before adding the red sauce and chopped fresh vine tomatoes.

Then start layering in a large dish.. meat layer first...add some grated cheese on top and some black pepper....then the wholemeal lasagna....followed by some of the white sauce....keep layering until you finish with a layer of the white sauce. I usually end up with two layers of everything....and then on top of the last layer of white sauce position about 10 whole mushrooms (destalked)....and then add loads of cheese (and I mean loads) on top....and top it off with a bit of parmesan and black pepper....and cook in the oven for about an hour....to hour and half....I like the pasta to be well soggy. Total time about 2.5 hours....3 tops. :D

I agree about the therapeutic benefits of making lasagne. I thinks it's because you can cook it in stages, taking time over the ragu, taking time over the béchamel sauce, taking time baking etc which leave plenty of time wine drinking :)

:)

I don't like to chop an onion unless there is a glass of red nearby.

Ugh.

One question about your version. Doesn't baking it, leaving it in the fridge overnight then reheating leave the cheese topping a bit overdone and claggy? If you've already baked it so the top is lovely and golden and melted then it seems odd to let it cool then reheat. Or do just sprinkle grated cheese over the top for the reheating stage?

I add more and more cheese. I am sorry, I forgot to say. Yes if it is all added at once it just disappears.

Bloomin 'eck mate.....just pop to your local supermarket and buy the sauce....I get the red and white lasagna sauce....and WHOLEMEAL lasagna.

But that's just the start. I buy the cheapest mince from Tesco....800grm for about £2. Which I fry with an well chopped onion....and then drain off all the fat.....before adding the red sauce and chopped fresh vine tomatoes.

Then start layering in a large dish.. meat layer first...add some grated cheese on top and some black pepper....then the wholemeal lasagna....followed by some of the white sauce....keep layering until you finish with a layer of the white sauce. I usually end up with two layers of everything....and then on top of the last layer of white sauce position about 10 whole mushrooms (destalked)....and then add loads of cheese (and I mean loads) on top....and top it off with a bit of parmesan and black pepper....and cook in the oven for about an hour....to hour and half....I like the pasta to be well soggy. Total time about 2.5 hours....3 tops. :D

That does sound gorgeous. Shame you drain off that fat though.

Wholemeal pasta. Nom. Nom.

Nooooooo.

I get my pleasure from cooking by making my own sauces; the chopping, the cutting, the sensual stirring and the tasting. Taking things slowly with care and attention, putting time and effort and love into it.

;)

Nooooooo.

I get my pleasure from cooking by making my own sauces; the chopping, the cutting, the sensual stirring and the tasting. Taking things slowly with care and attention, putting time and effort and love into it.

;)

I totally agree.

I must admit my home made lasagne isn't half as time consuming as yours eurovision! I have been known to put my stew in the slow cooker for 18 hours to get it to its proper level of unctuousness though :)

Oh, and even a whole day for cooking lasagne is nothing compared to 3 days basting and drying for a really good crispy duck.

That does sound gorgeous. Shame you drain off that fat though.

Wholemeal pasta. Nom. Nom.

There is still enough fat left to make it taste good.

And to you and Taxman.....life is way too short to be faffing around in a kitchen for hours upon end....making sauces in slow cookers - I spent years doing full from scratch meals....how many years have I wasted of my life in the bloody kitchen - yes I know some men think this is the woman's place....I've done my bit.

Fair enough if you enjoy the "art" of cooking...then all power to you.....but I enjoy the "art" of eating (my body is a testament to this :hihi:).....and I am all for using a short cut if the short cut is acceptable...nothing wrong with a good ready made sauce .....oh my word I am sounding like Delia now.......*goes off to rant at local football team*

Now let's talk about puddings....oh yes puddings.....my home made brioche and butter pudding is to die for :love:

Archived