Sign the E petitition for benefit cuts for rioters.

Should convicted rioters be evicted from their council homes?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Should convicted rioters be evicted from their council homes?

• Yes
    • No

Surely this is what schools are for?

So should their be tougher penalties for missing and messing around at school? For both the child and parents?

Maybe if they don't do well enough they have to stay until they do, or go on special schemes?

The thing is, a good number of these hooligans are from all classes, upbringings and other socio-economic groups... So, identifying a single cause is not going to happen, other than that they no longer respect law and order, therefore justice needs to get realistic and punishment should be just that and not another free holiday for poor baby thug...

Absolutely, but punishment should be based upon justice and not vengence- meted out with a level head and not in anger or fear which I think lies behind this petition.

At what point will you recognise that we've tried leaving social progress to the state and it has not been able to cope? Kids can't mange without a good education, schools can't mange without decent parents, parents can't manage without community support.

We're too set in a mindset that says- if there's a social problem I pay my taxes to sort it out. Well money can't solve this problem, the state can't solve this problem, only a strong community, full of people who actively take some responsibility for those around them can solve these problems because kids learn from their environment what's right and wrong. Schools and the state are not their main environment and many parents can't cope alone so it's time for the community to step up to the plate and start getting more involved.

Getting tough means removing the children from, and cease paying benefits and giving council houses to the ilk that have been rampaging over the past few days.

That won't solve anything, and you know that, if anything it will make it worse.

But it's the easy "no brainer" response, much easier than trying to work out why it's happening and then working to prevent it happneing again in the future.

Absolutely, but punishment should be based upon justice and not vengence- meted out with a level head and not in anger or fear which I think lies behind this petition.

At what point will you recognise that we've tried leaving social progress to the state and it has not been able to cope? Kids can't mange without a good education, schools can't mange without decent parents, parents can't manage without community support.

We're too set in a mindset that says- if there's a social problem I pay my taxes to sort it out. Well money can't solve this problem, the state can't solve this problem, only a strong community, full of people who actively take some responsibility for those around them can solve these problems because kids learn from their environment what's right and wrong. Schools and the state are not their main environment and many parents can't cope alone so it's time for the community to step up to the plate and start getting more involved.

Most people in society have a lot to do already... How much time do you spend volunteering every week?

Too many criminals are already abusing the system there for them, that regulated, checked, double checked system run by qualified people... Imagine the problems that would arise if you let the grumpy old man from down the road be in charge with a 1940's mentality to sorting modern problems out, or the EDL to take over, or Anarchists... Madness!

I tried to get involved a few years ago in some stuff going on round the estate I live, i'm still getting grief for it off people i've never even met, because of gang culture and the lack of real powers the Police has and too many do gooding social workers who haven't got a clue about the real world!

In theory yes, but being of no fixed abode could also allow them to be more lawless, less employable, turning to crime more because they have less and are in a state of despair.

IMHO it would be better to metre out lengthy community service orders and fines. Make them too tired to rob and too broke to do anything, whilst instilling regular early hours and a good work ethic by trained rehabilitation managers.

You gonna metre (sic) out punishment with a tape measure!:hihi:

I wonder what the Government will do with this as clearly it has substantial support, yet at the same time they've just confirmed that violent ex-offenders will get additional Housing Benefit.

It will be a bit difficult for them to give what a lot of people want, given this decision.

I wonder what the Government will do with this as clearly it has substantial support, yet at the same time they've just confirmed that violent ex-offenders will get additional Housing Benefit.

It will be a bit difficult for them to give what a lot of people want, given this decision.

They already discussed it on PMQ's this lunchtime!

Basically the councils already have the power and it's up to them...

Archived