HMRC Working Tax Credits Has Anybody Else Had Problems With Them??

Has anybody else had problems with the HMRC, we were advised to apply for tax credits as we only really have one decent wage my partners, mine is classed as less then half of a wage so months ago I rang them and they took my details over the phone they were really helpful it was male I had spoken to in Newcastle.

They sent me the form as promised I filled it out, honestly I was pleased when they sent us a letter back saying we were entitled to something £12 something as every little helps paid into my bank account on a certain date. It was the tax renewals in July so they sent us another form asking us to fill out another form we did put on the form that my partner had, had a pay rise as they asked us to put down any changes.

We didn`t think it would make a difference as it wasn`t a massive difference then 4 and a half weeks ago they sent us another a letter explaining that we were not entitled to working tax credit now because of my partners pay rise and that we had to pay the £423.75 back to them, I was incandescent with rage and rang them up only to speak to some rude and inconsiderate girl who did not care about my situation and the fact that they were in the wrong she said you did not tell us of your partners pay rise, I said I did they were saying we filled the form out wrong.

What made me laugh was the fact that I asked if they could just cancel it and they no longer pay us but she said we can`t cancel it how stupid they trap you in the system. She said we can`t cancel it as everybody needs a certain amount to live by I said but according to you we are not entitled to anything so why can`t you just remove us from the system, needless to say I will not be having anything to do with them ever again I refused to pay it how did we know what they were saying is right??. They received a very long letter of complaint from me so I am warning others of the consequences of getting involved with the HMRC don`t ever otherwise you will be paying a lump sum back to them when they try and screw you over they are worse than a criminal organisation its disgusting.

Emma. x :love::thumbsup:

We just wanted help and we got nothing but grief in the end my partner paid it I was not happy, but we were worried about them taking action against us and we felt that we did not have a choice but to pay the money that we did not have in the first place otherwise we would not have gone to them for help.

When you fill in these official forms, make photo copies or good photos of the pages, or accurate notes of what you have put down. It's surprising how much you forget as the weeks pass by.

Was it a backdated lump sum payment that they asked you to re-pay?

I know I wish I had done that and then they might not have been able to screw us over so easily oh well you live and learn.

Keep every letter (and note every phone call, date and who you spoke to etc) in a clip file or similar, throw nothing away ,ever, you never know when any of this is resurrected.

Have you run your present circumstances through HMRCs Work. Tax credit on-line test form?

Off to bed now!

They're not that bad.

If you tell them when your circumstances change straight away rather than waiting for the renewal, it's simples. No overpayment, and if they try and claw it back, the law's on your side.

If you have been told that you are no longer entitled then you probably have a joint income over 50k so £423 isn't going to make you desolate really.

Not true - it's around a £60k threshold for child tax credits. I couldnt claim working tax credits after earning about £14,000.

@Wondermidget I am sure that when he had his pay rise it was around the same time we filled in our tax renewals form anyway, @0742 Well you are lucky our income is a lot lot less than that I wish is was that much and like I explained we did not have the money in the first place to pay them back as I only work 12 hours a week, £423 is a lot of money when you are in the position we are in. @Beckys if you have dealings with them check everything as I wish I had done because they are so clever at screwing people over. My partner did not have the money either really but felt that he had no choice but to pay up and we felt that the HMRC were blackmailing us which is wrong. x x :love::thumbsup:

Archived