MRI results advice please

hi this is the first time iv used this board and we are looking for some advice re geting the results from an MRI scan that my husband had at nhs hospital on tuesday night. he is suffering terribly from back pain which is causing his legs to burn and go numb, we have been to A & E twice but both times we were told to wait until the MRI to see what was going on which was fair enough although frustrating when he was is so much pain.

he had the MRI on tuesday and had to press the stop button as it was too painfull for him to complete the whole time, the operator said they had got 75% of the test completed and he thought it would be enough for a report to be completed.

he is still in agony and his follow up appointment with the consultant is not until end of month,

does any one know will they contact us if anything serious or will we just sit on a pile until the appointment?

thanks for any advice

My daughter had a MRI scan which unfortunately revealed a brain tumour, She was called back for further tests within 24 hours and was operated on within 2 days. Must say she has had the all clear now and is well on the way to a full recovery...:)

I'm pretty sure if the MRI scan showed something serious they'd be in touch before the consultant appointment. One way you can maybe hurry things along if he's still in pain is to go back to either your GP or even A&E if it is that bad.. and they'll probably dig out the results/get in touch with the consultant.

Keep in regular contact with the department you visited and your GP about your concerns. Don't do anything to aggravate the symptoms. Find out about pain relief options. Keep a clear open mind. Don't look into alternative therapies until you get the MRI results. Urgent cases will be dealt with urgently. If you're not happy go for a second opinion elsewhere, such as if you feel it's taking too long, see a Bupa consultant if you can afford it.

I had a similar situation a few years ago, waiting in agony for teast results etc.

It mighht be worth calling your consultants secretary and explaining how much pain your husband is in, the may be able to urry things along some what.

However, in the end, I ended up having to get the PALS team on board before any one at the RHH took my problems sorted - I recomend that route, it really does get things moving.

I had a similar situation a few years ago, waiting in agony for teast results etc.

It mighht be worth calling your consultants secretary and explaining how much pain your husband is in, the may be able to urry things along some what.

However, in the end, I ended up having to get the PALS team on board before any one at the RHH took my problems sorted - I recomend that route, it really does get things moving.

Yes, I would advise you to ring the consultants secretary. Just ring the main switchboard and say " Can I speak to Mr. ****** secretary please. Its urgent.! This may move things on a little.

Yes, I would advise you to ring the consultants secretary. Just ring the main switchboard and say " Can I speak to Mr. ****** secretary please. Its urgent.! This may move things on a little.

Good idea Pat, but if you need to be seen urgent, request the secretary to contact you if they get a cancelation, spinal surgeons are extremely busy, the vast majority of patients tend to be in the same situation as yourself. If your pain is uncontrollable then either see your GP, or in fact in extreme pain situations attend A+E, don't lay there in pain. Another point I would like to make, although peoples intentions may be well founded, listening to others results, such as tumours etc will only make you anxious and increase the pain. Each person is different; don't think of the worst case scenario, if you can get your pain to a level of tolerance then focus on something different until you see your consultant. Whatever you do; DO NOT TAKE ADVICE WHICH COULD ADVERSLY AFFECTS YOUR CONDITION.

A good site once the cause of your spinal pain is identified, apart from your consultant is this site, http://www.spine-health.com/, very much American, the site is run by spinal surgeons & those who suffer in the same way as you. Just be careful on the advice you take. The website has a forum, run by extremely professional moderators.

Actually it's likely to slow things up, since the same advice would apply to every single patient.

Archived