Fitzalan Square/Pond St/Gallery Shop Memories

Redgates.

Violet May.

Cockaynes.

We used to go to the cafe on the top floor of Cockaynes, if we were really lucky, our Mum used to let us stay in town "for tea". That was in the proper restaurant, also on the top floor, with waitress service and everything. Though we were proper posh and grown-up

I remember that, and the the Co-op at the bottom of London Road had a posh restaurant too. Me and my mum used to go to a restaurant at the top of Commercial Street, I think you had to downstairs to it but I can't remember the name of it. Would have been circa 1965. There was the Piccolo coffee bar on Cambridge Street, and a few years later The Golden Egg on Fargate. There was a record shop on Chapel Walk and another on Fargate, one of which was Canns I think, and you could go in a booth and listen to records through huge headphones. Wilson Pecks music shop was on Leopold Street.

There was a very trendy dress shop in the 60's at the top of King Street and Peter Robinson where Primark is now. Saxone shop was on High Street, and I vaguely remember buying Biba nail polish from a little shop nearby.

I remember that, and the the Co-op at the bottom of London Road had a posh restaurant too. Me and my mum used to go to a restaurant at the top of Commercial Street, I think you had to downstairs to it but I can't remember the name of it. Would have been circa 1965. There was the Piccolo coffee bar on Cambridge Street, and a few years later The Golden Egg on Fargate. There was a record shop on Chapel Walk and another on Fargate, one of which was Canns I think, and you could go in a booth and listen to records through huge headphones. Wilson Pecks music shop was on Leopold Street.

There was a very trendy dress shop in the 60's at the top of King Street and Peter Robinson where Primark is now. Saxone shop was on High Street, and I vaguely remember buying Biba nail polish from a little shop nearby.

Philip Cann the Music Man was on Chapel Walk, I remember the little booths too, and Saxones shoe shop with its large and small department and sale shoes upstairs.

But who remembers the Carlton Cafe? It was on a little lane that linked High Street with Norfolk Street, where Arundel Gate is now and just about where the policeman directing traffic stood. It may have been called Norfolk Lane but not too sure. The cafe was just one room, they served coffee in glass cups and saucers. The large bullioned window looked across to a toy shop which was my treat when i went to town with my Mum

Philip Cann the Music Man was on Chapel Walk, I remember the little booths too, and Saxones shoe shop with its large and small department and sale shoes upstairs.

But who remembers the Carlton Cafe? It was on a little lane that linked High Street with Norfolk Street, where Arundel Gate is now and just about where the policeman directing traffic stood. It may have been called Norfolk Lane but not too sure. The cafe was just one room, they served coffee in glass cups and saucers. The large bullioned window looked across to a toy shop which was my treat when i went to town with my Mum

Here it is Tasha just where you said it was!

And you can see those bullioned windows here.

Anyone remember the Moor Sales Rooms opposite the Telegraph Building on High Street, sort of an auction of tat. If I remember correctly it got stopped by the trading standards!

Around the corner was the Old Mulberry pub which was Home Ales.

• 1 year later...
showboat amusements for the bandits then the friary then old blue bell then golden ball - happy days :)

i used to hang around showboat in early 80s fun times i was a skinhead at the time what laffs wehad now day kids sit in on pc's no fun :(

---------- Post added 26-06-2013 at 11:22 ----------

what was that cafe called on the gallery? Was it Minerva? Also i remember a supermarket called Presto's?

yeh good cippy beside the cafe

---------- Post added 26-06-2013 at 11:25 ----------

virgin was also at bottom of the moor and you could listen to latest albums at the time witch was brill for early 80s

Archived