Fitzalan Square/Pond St/Gallery Shop Memories

The Odeon was on one side, by the YEB showrooms, and on the other side, by Wigfalls, was the Classic. (which burnt down)

yes the restaurant was the Minerva.

Prestos had a couple of incarnations, as a costcutter and I think it may also have been a "Challenge" (Was certainly owned by the Presto/ Frank Dee chain)

Yes and in an earlier incarnation it was Thrifty's supermarket, used to love the Classic Saturday mornings matinees. I like Plain Talker remember the Classic burning down, and then demolished afterwards, can't remember if fire started in Indus Indian next door and spread to Classic, or vice versa.

I remember that, and the the Co-op at the bottom of London Road had a posh restaurant too. Me and my mum used to go to a restaurant at the top of Commercial Street, I think you had to downstairs to it but I can't remember the name of it. Would have been circa 1965. There was the Piccolo coffee bar on Cambridge Street, and a few years later The Golden Egg on Fargate. There was a record shop on Chapel Walk and another on Fargate, one of which was Canns I think, and you could go in a booth and listen to records through huge headphones. Wilson Pecks music shop was on Leopold Street.

There was a very trendy dress shop in the 60's at the top of King Street and Peter Robinson where Primark is now. Saxone shop was on High Street, and I vaguely remember buying Biba nail polish from a little shop nearby.

The cafe was the Gambit,the entrance is still there.

Cinema in Fitazalan square - was it Regal?

I think at one time it was called " News Theatre " ?

---------- Post added 29-06-2013 at 15:06 ----------

The cafe was the Gambit,the entrance is still there.

I think that cafe was under what was the " Sheffield stock exchange " . Below that was the old EMGB salesrooms and offices .

---------- Post added 29-06-2013 at 15:16 ----------

i used to hang around showboat in early 80s fun times i was a skinhead at the time what laffs wehad now day kids sit in on pc's no fun :(

---------- Post added 26-06-2013 at 11:22 ----------

yeh good cippy beside the cafe

---------- Post added 26-06-2013 at 11:25 ----------

virgin was also at bottom of the moor and you could listen to latest albums at the time witch was brill for early 80s

I was just just trying to think of the big store on High street -Walshes- and just below that was a row of single story shops , one of which was a milk bar, just before you came to a little lane - which is now Arundle Gate . All of which was long before the hole in the road .

---------- Post added 29-06-2013 at 15:33 ----------

Doe's anyone remember the old ' Norfolk market hall ' in Waingate ( for the historians there is a name to ponder on " Waingate "). The main entrance was an impressive one , with the back entrance on Exchange street . Across Exchange street was the entrance to the old fish market .The access to the fish market was via a wooden constructed gantry over the bombed site .

At the other end was fresh fish, meat and....Fresh tripe and all other goody's .. with salt ,pepper and vinegar .

---------- Post added 29-06-2013 at 15:37 ----------

Wilson Gumperts toy shop in Fitzalan Square, magical!!.

It was an " Aladins Cave ".

Mike Batty:-

Cinemas in Fitzalan square:- the only one I can think of was called "the Classic" which was called the Electra palace (or similar) originally, and yes, "News Theatre" at some point.

Eli the cat:- I'm not sure it was ever known as the Regal. To my knowledge the regal was at Attercliffe.

Hi mike batty,the Gambit restaurant was virtually under the old Grosvenor insurance building at the corner of Commercial Street and Haymarket the iron entrance gate is still there.The only bridge that i knew across to the fish market was a Bailey bridge invented by Donald Bailey of Rotherham.Can you remember the fountain in the Norfolk Market hall,the florist,s used to put there flowers in there to soak and the smell was very nice.That was the Sheffield I grew up in.While i think about it THe News Theatre was the first place in Sheffield to show 3D films back in the 50s and you were issued with a pair of cardboard specs.

Archived