Fitzalan Square/Pond St/Gallery Shop Memories

Guest makapaka

I am sat in agia napa right now with the original owner of the friery and minerva - anyone remember michael and fosis?

Anyone remember the police box in the corner of Fitzalan Square, I got taken in there once when they found something wrong with my motorbike that I had parked at the side of the box. Anyone remember 'Pond Street Nora' or is she a figment of my imagination?

Hi mike batty,the Gambit restaurant was virtually under the old Grosvenor insurance building at the corner of Commercial Street and Haymarket the iron entrance gate is still there.The only bridge that i knew across to the fish market was a Bailey bridge invented by Donald Bailey of Rotherham.Can you remember the fountain in the Norfolk Market hall,the florist,s used to put there flowers in there to soak and the smell was very nice.That was the Sheffield I grew up in.While i think about it THe News Theatre was the first place in Sheffield to show 3D films back in the 50s and you were issued with a pair of cardboard specs.

Hi bullerboY,

I can vaughly remember the fountain. Have seen the long shots of it half hidden behind stalls on http://www.picturesheffield.com. Was there drinking water coming from a stone lion's head or was this seperate from the main fountain??

Regards, Peter.

Archived