Aren't Patents a Great Idea?

I always read 'shopfitting' as 'shoplifting'...

Me too. In fact I think many people do.

In 1997 I started working with Touchscreen Kiosks. In 1998 the first tablet computer I used was (running NT4) was a 800x600 256 colour resistive touchscreen made by epos manufacturers Javelin. The battery was good for about 45 minutes. and it was about an inch thick with a serrated aluminium heatsink on the back and cost a ton of money. Essentially just an untethered version of their existing epos touchscreen slabs. It was a great toy, even then.

If you want to enforce a patent infringement, even an invalid one, you simply need access to more funds than your opponent, and even then if the infringements occur outside the areas of control, like the Far East, Russia, China & most of Africa, then forget about unless you are GSK, or any of the (decreasing number of) pharmagiants.

If you're a small operation with an innovation, forget about patents - they aren't worth the paper they are printed on.

I'd like to think if I invented something beneficial to man, I could share it for free, is that not reward enough?

what if you lived off the money of your inventions, or the employees of your company relied on the income from the technology you invented to kep their jobs. This is not a life saving drug its a toy for rich people!

Archived