New Asda now OPEN near Crystal Peaks shopping centre

Had a quick visit as needed ice cream and petrol....

Pleasantly surprised by the price of diesel. Probably the cheapest in Sheffield now.

Then went to go park up, seems to be a lot 'no entry' signs, that were for areas, but can easily be misconstrued for other lanes... thankfully no cars about so I could decipher without problems.

Didn't see any baskets, but saw plenty plenty of trolleys, thought the baskets must be upstairs.... no. So decided to just get ice cream and not have a browse as didn't want to struggle.

Noticed the baskets hidden away to the side on the way out.

Looked ok from the small amount I see.

having used peaks for years , gave this new asda a try today and must say I will never go back .

we do a fortnightly big shop so you enter and the first isles are all sorts of random stuff walking up and down each isle is anoying as they are not inline so easy to miss a isle .

then up and down 6 out of line isles till you finaly get to freezer foods and other foods that are no real saving on iceland or sainsburys .

will still have to go to peaks again as the frozen sections was not very good so a trip to iceland will be needed .

mercury also got the free taxi phone contract ..very poor service 25 mins wait for a taxi ( be sure you have your phone to call citycars) .

if your thinking of going I would say dont bother stick to peaks you get everything you need in peaks .

Pleasantly surprised by the price of diesel. Probably the cheapest in Sheffield now.

Yes, a local Asda to me keeps the prices low at the neighbouring Shell stations (133.9 at Shell yesterday). So even if you don't go for supermarket fuel, the presence of one is a bonus.

This Asda is very good, prices very competitive!!

I reckon this will be the end of the road for Sainsbury in the CP complex. I wouldn't be surprised if they pull out of Crystal Peaks within 2 yrs?

I would be surprised - remember they expanded their CP store a few years ago so it must be profitable despite Morrisions not being far away. The Asda will impact their trade for sure, but I think Sainsburys aims for a slightly different market to Asda (competing on quality more than price) so I think there's room for both of them.

The Iceland in Crystal Peaks' days may be numbered though.