New Asda now OPEN near Crystal Peaks shopping centre

The people that stand around with signs actually do a lot more than that. They are responsible for making sure that the checkouts run smoothly, they deal with complaints, price errors, who and where the checkout staff are. They also run up and down the store replacing items that need replacing ie broken packets or things customers forget, they also take all the things back that people dump when they decide they don't want it any more. They are fab and people think they just 'hold up a sign'

I hold up a sign when I drive past the Aldi on my way to the Asda at Handsworth, Two fingers, :hihi:

I live about the same distance away from the Handsworth one as this new one, so last night about half 10 me and my lodger decided to go to this one for the first time.

Wont be going again.

All the veg, bread and fresh meat had ridiculously short dates on it, plus a group of about 10/15 youths had taken it upon themselves to have a "youth club" at the bit at the bottom of the stairs, which consisted of them running up and down the escalators, menacingly wandering around on their bikes, running through the supermarket itself and generally being a nuisance. May have intimidated some. In fact my lodger didnt want to use the cash machine outside after we had done the shop for this very reason.

Couldnt see any security guard. Surely at this time of night they need one?

We have had vastly differing experiences then.

I've only been once so time will tell.

I used to go to Handsworth pretty frequently, in that time I often saw people lifting goods (quite blatantly), arguing in the middle of the store, swearing and even fighting in the car park. I eventually got fed up and moved my custom to a civilised supermarket.

• 2 weeks later...