New Asda now OPEN near Crystal Peaks shopping centre

RE: Star story, I don't remember the markets closing down after Sainsbury's was built? They don't offer the same service as a supermarket at all. I'll be glad when it opens personally as it's walking distance from me and it will save me having to go to the one in handsworth

RE: Star story, I don't remember the markets closing down after Sainsbury's was built? They don't offer the same service as a supermarket at all. I'll be glad when it opens personally as it's walking distance from me and it will save me having to go to the one in handsworth

A good point.

How many market traders are there in CP that sell food anyway?

Why was the Aldi turned down at Drakehouse due to the abundance of retail food outlets around this area and Asda given the go ahead?

I think it will cause a lot of traffic congestion in the area, also an increase in crime due to the sheer numbers coming from all over the south east of the city!

These existing supermarkets have killed off the local indpendent butchers, bakers, grocers. Crystal Peaks continues to struggle to attract more upmarket shops, it will only get worse when Asda sells absolutely everything and all competition is forced out.

I'm all for competition but this Asda plan is saturating the area with this sort of retail outlet

Really dont see the need for an Asda. Already got a Sainsburys, Morrisons, small co-op, small tesco express, iceland & spar nearby (maybe more that I have missed out too)! I might use it though - especially if it is cheaper than other supermarkets! Its all about saving money these days!!

But surely the benefits to congestion around Handsworth and Woodhouse would be visible, less people travelling across Sheffield to get to the Asda. Potentially there would be congestion but that would surely be either at the start or end of the journey, unlike now where it is people driving through Beighton,Mosborough.

The site is quite large - it's not even really in walking distance of CP.

Re: Sainsburys - i think they've always been there as long as the development has been on site, so it won't have affected any market trade.