Did the Police handle the riots well?

Did the Police handle the first 3 days of the riot well?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Did the Police handle the first 3 days of the riot well?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not enough man power
    • Didn't go in hard enough

This morning i'm seeing a number of statements by the Police where their distancing themselves from the politicians.

But the bit which is getting me is that they claim they handled the situation well? Not for the first 3 days in my opinion! The politicians had come home from holiday before things got better, and people had been complaining as how long it took for them to cut short their holidays!

For what seemed like an age (3 days) people were constantly asking why weren't the Police doing anything, they were amazed that they were just stood there whilst the yobs razed buildings and looted stores.

Do the Police realise that a whole lot of the situation was broadcast live?

I fully support the Police, but IMHO they were too soft!

Do you think the Police handled the riots well?

The police were in a no win situation. They were faced with roving gangs of looters using guerrilla tactics to target shops etc making it extremely difficult to contain them. Not only that if they had gone in harder with batons and tear gas then people would have been complaining they were too heavy handed.

jb

The police were in a no win situation. They were faced with roving gangs of looters using guerrilla tactics to target shops etc making it extremely difficult to contain them. Not only that if they had gone in harder with batons and tear gas then people would have been complaining they were too heavy handed.

jb

Heavy handed, but fewer deaths, less damage, less theft, fewer buildings burnt down and less people displaced...

The MET failed miserably for the first three days.

Although I support the men and women doing they're job, I don't support the tactics taken from whoever is dishing out the orders.

Lets take the peaceful protests for example, they were all too happy to give the order to kettle and beat peaceful protesters, yet when there is a riot they stand back and do nothing fearing the backlash caused from any heavy handed tactics that may have been issued (maybe from the rioters themselves, or the nations views).

It makes no sense.

All this let's identify them after and go arrest them is nonsense, the damage is done and they'll only get half of the offenders, never mind the stolen property. It's also costing twice as much, if not more, to make the arrests afterwards...

The police got it completely wrong tactically, the rain helped prevent further trouble eventually, the chaos had just about run it's course, and the general public in certain areas were wanting to take the law into their own hands. The massive police presence was a bit too late the damage was done, If I had seen my business looted and burnt while the police stood by not engaging with the perpetrators I would have been livid to put it mildly.

I do have some sympathy with the police because 'wishy washy' policing has been encouraged by 'wishy washy' people and the media, whom I'm sure would not be so keen to let the police stand by and let their property be nicked or destroyed !

It's also costing twice as much, if not more, to make the arrests afterwards...

Now it makes sense.

I can't see how they can use the riots as an excuse to prevent any cuts in service, as the service was not given anyway.

The amount of times I've heard people saying things like "ooh well we can't make cuts now" after the poor performance given is ridiculous.

Now that the riots have ended, carry on with the cuts, if they need the bodies at a later date they can just draft them in from other parts of the country anyway.

Now it makes sense.

I can't see how they can use the riots as an excuse to prevent any cuts in service, as the service was not given anyway.

The amount of times I've heard people saying things like "ooh well we can't make cuts now" after the poor performance given is ridiculous.

Now that the riots have ended, carry on with the cuts, if they need the bodies at a later date they can just draft them in from other parts of the country anyway.

Any cut's they've had haven't kicked it yet, so that can not be an excuse!

Archived