Did the Police handle the riots well?

Did the Police handle the first 3 days of the riot well?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Did the Police handle the first 3 days of the riot well?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not enough man power
    • Didn't go in hard enough

Got it!

I don't think they're supposed to hit folk around the crust though, I believe they're supposed to go for the legs. Should be the head every time in a rioting situation!

I'm very happy with the legs, it'd stop them running riot and to think twice about continuing... May not even be as much call for the courts either, never mind all this extra extra overtime to go out and find them all...

People are legitimately criticising the polices lack of action in the early stages of the rioting and looting.

I saw situations where well protected police officers who were not greatly outnumbered stood by and watched criminal acts being committed.

I presume the operational decision was not to intervene if there was no risk to life.

This inaction leads to a lack of confidence in the police to protect communities and also shows others that criminals are being allowed to cause mayhem as a result some people will probably have joined in.

People were burnt out of their homes and businesss and lost all their possessions.

I think the senior commanders in the Met were more worried about press sensational reporting of any perceived wrongdoing by officers than the results of their inaction.

Whose to say they were not greatly outnumbered. That's your opinion. An officer in command on the ground might think differently.

Police officers are human beings just like me and you. There is a very fine line between their duty to protect and serve and putting their own lives at risk.

As if that's not complicated enough they also have to work to strict laws and guidelines. I am sure we all like to sit here and say that the rioters should be beaten to a pulp and have their heads clipped off but in the real world police cant just charge in there and start attacking. Every operation has to be decided and agreed, every action they do has consequences and can/will be scrutinised by public, press, courts, lawyers and IPCC. Its all to easy to watch images on TV and say "....they are too soft...." "....they are doing it wrong..." "....why are they just standing there...."

Nobody except those brave officers on the ground can answer why and when they do things.

Whose to say they were not greatly outnumbered. That's your opinion. An officer in command on the ground might think differently.

Police officers are human beings just like me and you. There is a very fine line between their duty to protect and serve and putting their own lives at risk.

As if that's not complicated enough they also have to work to strict laws and guidelines. I am sure we all like to sit here and say that the rioters should be beaten to a pulp and have their heads clipped off but in the real world police cant just charge in there and start attacking. Every operation has to be decided and agreed, every action they do has consequences and can/will be scrutinised by public, press, courts, lawyers and IPCC. Its all to easy to watch images on TV and say "....they are too soft...." "....they are doing it wrong..." "....why are they just standing there...."

Nobody except those brave officers on the ground can answer why and when they do things.

Well i've heard of reports from local Northern Police officers saying the same thing, why aren't they getting in there and quashing it!

Police have the authority to use whatever force is necessary to enforce the law. They are trained to deal with situations like this and are well protected.

It will not have been the constables, sgts and inspectors on the ground who decided to stand by and watch crimes being committed it will have been taken at command level in my opinion.

Don't you find it strange that no district commanders have given interviews and it has been left to the ACPO spokesman to give generalised answers.

If these riots had been squashed earlier on they may not have escalated with tragic consequences.

As for scrutiny by the press and sensational anti police reporting the government and Met. Commissionaire should have the strenghth of character and authority to support the officers.

Their first duty is to protect life and property without fear of the consequences.

Police have the authority to use whatever force is necessary to enforce the law. They are trained to deal with situations like this and are well protected.

It will not have been the constables, sgts and inspectors on the ground who decided to stand by and watch crimes being committed it will have been taken at command level in my opinion.

Don't you find it strange that no district commanders have given interviews and it has been left to the ACPO spokesman to give generalised answers.

If these riots had been squashed earlier on they may not have escalated with tragic consequences.

As for scrutiny by the press and sensational anti police reporting the government and Met. Commissionaire should have the strenghth of character and authority to support the officers.

Their first duty is to protect life and property without fear of the consequences.

They've proved they know what to do earlier this year even...

Oh really. How many police officers have been hauled through the court system or have been slammed in the media for not "thinking about the consequences" "using too much unnecessary force" "breaching operational protocol"

Nobody except for the police forces know why they chose to do things when they did or how much force they should or shouldn't use. Do we forget (again) that they have a duty to protect THEMSELVES as well as the public.

Every action has a consequence.

Oh really. How many police officers have been hauled through the court system or have been slammed in the media for not "thinking about the consequences" "using too much unnecessary force" "breaching operational protocol"

Nobody except for the police forces know why they chose to do things when they did or how much force they should or shouldn't use. Do we forget (again) that they have a duty to protect THEMSELVES as well as the public.

Every action has a consequence.

You are excusing a situation where no one carries out their lawfull duty because of fear of criticism by the press. Don't you see this is exactly what the law breakers and anti police section of society want.

If inaction by the police allows premises to be destroyed and people terrorised the confidence in the police will be lost and sections of society will turn to other sources to protect their communities.

I am not a critic of the police but of the tactics that were employed in the early days.

Archived