Did the Police handle the riots well?

Did the Police handle the first 3 days of the riot well?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Did the Police handle the first 3 days of the riot well?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not enough man power
    • Didn't go in hard enough

I may be wrong but the impression I got from watching news clips was that they were somewhat hesitant most of the time. i would have thought the use of tear gas and rubber bullets would have been appropriate in the worst areas hit by the rioters

You are excusing a situation where no one carries out their lawfull duty because of fear of criticism by the press. Don't you see this is exactly what the law breakers and anti police section of society want.

If inaction by the police allows premises to be destroyed and people terrorised the confidence in the police will be lost and sections of society will turn to other sources to protect their communities.

I am not a critic of the police but of the tactics that were employed in the early days.

That should lead to an indictment of the police though, because it's more a product of the society we live in. We allow the police to be put through the ringer when things go wrong (and to a degree rightly so) but then equally we can't hold them to task if they hesitate about their actions because of that accountability.

I remember when I served in the military.. armed UK guard duty, the rules around that would make an sane person hesitate before opening fire, even if they were in the right to do so. It's a similar scenario for the police.. there's bound to be an element of self preservation that pervades these actions, simply because we as a society have pushed them more into a position of uncertainty.

It truly is a case of damned if they do damned if they don't.

That should lead to an indictment of the police though, because it's more a product of the society we live in. We allow the police to be put through the ringer when things go wrong (and to a degree rightly so) but then equally we can't hold them to task if they hesitate about their actions because of that accountability.

I remember when I served in the military.. armed UK guard duty, the rules around that would make an sane person hesitate before opening fire, even if they were in the right to do so. It's a similar scenario for the police.. there's bound to be an element of self preservation that pervades these actions, simply because we as a society have pushed them more into a position of uncertainty.

It truly is a case of damned if they do damned if they don't.

Couldn't agree with you more, but this situation was a case of officers watching offences being committed. Tactics changed and the rioting and looting ended.

The government and police should not cave in to pressure from the press when carrying out their lawfull duty.

Our police cannot use such weaponry without consent from politicians. Unfortunately Cameron was on holiday and could not drag himself away for several days, so the riots continued.

Obviously the rioters weren't in his neighbourhood then

WOW!.....how remarkable is that?

Whatever politicians say must be true as historically they are really honest..:hihi::hihi:

The ex Assistant Commissioner of the Metropolitan Polce said the police had the authority to use baton rounds without asking permission from a politician.

I am not sure about tear gas though.

Where did you get your information from ?

Archived