Taking wood, from a wood

Just remembered reading about someone who was prosecuted for doing the same thing ,removing a dead branch for the fire.He argued that his dog broke the law every time they went for a walk then.I would think if you just took dead wood of no value who would care .Dont fill a lorry though.

the problem is.

everywhere belongs to someone.

unless you have permission from that someone to take stuff it's theft.

lilypiglet your advise if its on the floor take it is the same excuse the scrappy theives use for robbing out of gardens.

If you dont know the owners of something. even if they have given blanket permission to walk on their land, you dont have permission to remove anything.

as long as you're not chopping down or removing wood that has obviously been chopped and piled (like the forestry commission piles) then anything else is classed as 'wind-fall' and you can remove it

I'm not sure about that. They frequently leave fallen trees as a deliberate part of the woodland's management since the rotting wood provides a habitat for fungi, insects, etc.

If it's illegal then I and many thousands of scouts have broken the law many times over many years :P

Come to think of it, I think we actually did once as all we left was the stump and some sawdust :( Took us a week to dispose of the evidence.

If it's illegal then I and many thousands of scouts have broken the law many times over many years :P

Come to think of it, I think we actually did once as all we left was the stump and some sawdust :( Took us a week to dispose of the evidence.

im comfortably numb

as long as you're not chopping down or removing wood that has obviously been chopped and piled (like the forestry commission piles) then anything else is classed as 'wind-fall' and you can remove it

That's not the case, unprofitable windfall trees that are on the deck and in contact with the ground rot and provide a unique environment for many species and are left for a reason. If they are hang ups then while they are not providing much of an environment they are by their nature dangerous and not suitable for removal with ground based chainsaw operators and i doubt many landowners give permision to joe public to come on their land with a skidder or bulldozer.

Treeton Wood

Access it from Wood Lane/Treeton Lane. There is a lay-by for car parking.

Treeton Brook, defines the south-eastern edge of the wood

Covering 50 acres,it is the largest semi-natural woodland in the local area and a prominent feature in the local landscape

A semi-natural woodland of ancient origin, documents from the early 1600's mention Treeton Wood as a coppice woodland belonging to the 7th Earl of Shrewsbury ( 1552-1616 ).

There have been a range of finds, from prehistoric flint fragments and tools through to a lead weight from the Medieval age.

It was a source of oak bark, which was used in the leather tanning industry, and probably used in the building of the Manorial Barn at Whiston

It was owned by the Dukes of Norfolk until 1993, when it was bought by Rotherham Borough Council

Treeton Wood

Access it from Wood Lane/Treeton Lane. There is a lay-by for car parking.

Treeton Brook, defines the south-eastern edge of the wood

Covering 50 acres,it is the largest semi-natural woodland in the local area and a prominent feature in the local landscape

A semi-natural woodland of ancient origin, documents from the early 1600's mention Treeton Wood as a coppice woodland belonging to the 7th Earl of Shrewsbury ( 1552-1616 ).

There have been a range of finds, from prehistoric flint fragments and tools through to a lead weight from the Medieval age.

It was a source of oak bark, which was used in the leather tanning industry, and probably used in the building of the Manorial Barn at Whiston

It was owned by the Dukes of Norfolk until 1993, when it was bought by Rotherham Borough Council

Nice information but not really relevant to the post i was expecting you reveling some old bye law giving locals the right for free fuel.

Nice information but not really relevant to the post i was expecting you reveling some old bye law giving locals the right for free fuel.

At the end it says now owned by rotherham council, the OP says it isnt private/owned by anyone,so before the OP goes and gets himself arrested ,he can now give RCC a ring and hear it from the horses mouth.Is that relevent enough for you.I cant see your contribution any where!!

Apologies for my posts.... I was going on information given to me by my family members, one works Forestry Commission and one who is Parks and Gardens, I couldn't comment for Private Land.....I don't condone theft in any form, so thanks for the reference to a metal-thieving scrapman.....Jeeeeeeeezzz

Archived