The Iconic buildings of pre war Sheffield

grinder

Doe's anyone have any Idea whats happening to the empty buildings around town that have been left to decay.

IE, The post office Fitzalan square, the old Law courts/Town Hall in the hay market, The old Salvation army Citadel Pinstone street, and many other Iconic old Sheffield buildings.

We've lost so many already The Empire, The Hippodrome, the Peace gardens Tram shelter. and many more.

I know some of them had to go but how many more before we decide it's enough,

I love what they have done on Leopold st. with old Tech. collage, why can't the do the same with what we have left..

Once there gone it's too late.

One of the other magnificent buildings that we let go was the old Barclays Bank at the corner of Commercial St and Fitzallan Square, which is now occupied by Cooplands. There are still a few good buildings around Commercial St, such as the Gas offices,

and we need to make sure are kept.

Doe's anyone have any Idea whats happening to the empty buildings around town that have been left to decay.

IE, The post office Fitzalan square, the old Law courts/Town Hall in the hay market, The old Salvation army Citadel Pinstone street, and many other Iconic old Sheffield buildings.

We've lost so many already The Empire, The Hippodrome, the Peace gardens Tram shelter. and many more.

I know some of them had to go but how many more before we decide it's enough,

I love what they have done on Leopold st. with old Tech. collage, why can't the do the same with what we have left..

Once there gone it's too late.

What have they done with the old Tech college - presumably what used to be City Grammar School before the 60s?

There was an article in the Star last wk stating that someone has bought the old Post Office, but wasn't saying what he intended to do with it. It's been heavily vandalized apparently.

One of the other magnificent buildings that we let go was the old Barclays Bank at the corner of Commercial St and Fitzallan Square, which is now occupied by Cooplands. There are still a few good buildings around Commercial St, such as the Gas offices,

and we need to make sure are kept.

Only partly true David. The old Barclays Bank was indeed a fine building but made way for the widening of Commercial Street to firstly become a dual carriageway and later to include the supertram tracks. The building which Cooplands is in stands where the News Theatre (later the Classic cinema) once stood although I would say it probably takes up a little of the Barclays Bank site.

The Gas Offices are listed so should be safe and I would think this also applies to the dutch gable of the former Bell public house in the square.

Well there's an article on 'The Star' website that says the old GPO in Fitzalan square has been bought once again, it's to have major repair work done first and then the buyers have plans for it, but mysteriously say it's not going to be flats or a hotel, so I guess it's 'Watch that space'. Building remedial work to begin in September apparantly.

Well there's an article on 'The Star' website that says the old GPO in Fitzalan square has been bought once again, it's to have major repair work done first and then the buyers have plans for it, but mysteriously say it's not going to be flats or a hotel, so I guess it's 'Watch that space'. Building remedial work to begin in September apparantly.

My money's on Sheffield's first 98p emporium.

Only partly true David. The old Barclays Bank was indeed a fine building but made way for the widening of Commercial Street to firstly become a dual carriageway and later to include the supertram tracks. The building which Cooplands is in stands where the News Theatre (later the Classic cinema) once stood although I would say it probably takes up a little of the Barclays Bank site.

The Gas Offices are listed so should be safe and I would think this also applies to the dutch gable of the former Bell public house in the square.

Jim,

I've just had a look at the "Wrigley's Sheffield" book and it looks like you are right. Perhaps not all of the bank was used for the road widening, but certainly some of it. Interesting that Commercial Street is now effectively back to single carriageway, even though the traffic is heavier, especially as Angel St and Haymarket are closed to traffic.

Archived