Where will the evicted people go??

Criminals are criminals despite money defining class.

If you got a criminal record would you expect your entire family to be punished for it? Say if you got caught nicking a packet of chewing gum?

The problem here is that we're stepping outside what is reasonable in a civilised society. People from social housing are getting convicted day in, day out. Year in, year out. I can absolutely guarantee you that the rest of their family are not turfed out of their housing every time. In fact rarely. So why enforce the rules differently for rioters and looters?

It's a ridiculous, inconsistent and politically motivated kneejerk reaction. The judiciary are allowing themselves to be driven in the same way by dealing out punative sentences for what are basically petty crimes in most cases. The police (for all their faults) have to be applauded for stepping back from a similar shameful position by avoiding being associated with a government that is making a hell of a lot of mistakes right now.

If you got a criminal record would you expect your entire family to be punished for it? Say if you got caught nicking a packet of chewing gum?

The problem here is that we're stepping outside what is reasonable in a civilised society. People from social housing are getting convicted day in, day out. Year in, year out. I can absolutely guarantee you that the rest of their family are not turfed out of their housing every time. In fact rarely. So why enforce the rules differently for rioters and looters?

It's a ridiculous, inconsistent and politically motivated kneejerk reaction. The judiciary are allowing themselves to be driven in the same way by dealing out punative sentences for what are basically petty crimes in most cases. The police (for all their faults) have to be applauded for stepping back from a similar shameful position by avoiding being associated with a government that is making a hell of a lot of mistakes right now.

1) I don't think that eviction is the answer.

2) The individual councils already have the power to evict them.

3) They are criminals, it's nothing to do with the government. The only political point in the whole fiasco was the original shooting (even that was probably justified), the rest was pure criminality which happened when everyone saw that the police weren't doing anything whatsoever to stop anybody.

How would you know?

Because in the balance of probability a bunch of mentally subnormal, hood rats with a penchant for swiped ipods and Nike's are hardly likely to stumble upon a way of eradicating the scourge of the medical profession.

I'll lay my next mortgage payment that the cure doesn't come from an inner city high rise.

So a Council is setting a cheaper rent because they have lower maintenance costs than a private landlord - economy of scale and all that - but are still able to make a reasonable return.

The council charge less so people can afford to live under a roof.

1) I don't think that eviction is the answer.

2) The individual councils already have the power to evict them.

3) They are criminals, it's nothing to do with the government. The only political point in the whole fiasco was the original shooting (even that was probably justified), the rest was pure criminality which happened when everyone saw that the police weren't doing anything whatsoever to stop anybody.

Agree eviction is clearly not the answer. That policy cannot be enforced without evicting everybody committed of a crime from now on. Then we would have a very serious situation.

I can't agree with 3). The shooting was not political, not remotely so. We are seeing the judiciary, under pressure from the CPS it must be said, handing down rough, rushed justice because the long sentences look good politically. The councils are jumping on the band wagon, basically to supply good political copy for the Daily Mail.

The council charge less so people can afford to live under a roof.

Councils charge less because they don't have to worry about making a profit. Social landlords are very different to private landlords, who are mainly interested in making profitable returns on their investments.

I've recently met a young woman who has had several privately rented flats, but has had a council flat in Sheffield for the last couple of years. She thinks the council is the best landlord she's ever had! Her rent is much less, and she gets her repairs done. As she's working, and has to pay all her rent herself, it makes a huge difference.

Part of the problem with many of the looters is their sense of entitlement. They probably have all their housing costs paid by housing benefit - and don't take into account that people who pay taxes, even on low wages, are actually paying for them to live in what might be a better home than those tax paying workers can afford.

Where there are families with children, or people with serious needs then I don't think the landlords should evict, because the council will ultimately have a duty of care and have to find them alternative housing. However, if the looters are single people or couples with no dependents, should they have the privilege of having something so scarce as a council house?

Agree eviction is clearly not the answer. That policy cannot be enforced without evicting everybody committed of a crime from now on. Then we would have a very serious situation.

I can't agree with 3). The shooting was not political, not remotely so. We are seeing the judiciary, under pressure from the CPS it must be said, handing down rough, rushed justice because the long sentences look good politically. The councils are jumping on the band wagon, basically to supply good political copy for the Daily Mail.

Forget the Daily Mail...

The protest about the shooting was the only political thing... But they held that on Saturday afternoon whilst local football matches were going, and expected instant answers from an almost provincial police station, even though it had only happened on the Thursday night and only been passed to the IPC on Friday... Activists pushing and spoiling for a fight, poor family!

These thieving tw*ts deserve rough justice for what they did.. they've done more direct and deliberate damage than any of the comparisons i've heard...

Forget the Daily Mail...

The protest about the shooting was the only political thing... But they held that on Saturday afternoon whilst local football matches were going, and expected instant answers from an almost provincial police station, even though it had only happened on the Thursday night and only been passed to the IPC on Friday... Activists pushing and spoiling for a fight, poor family!

These thieving tw*ts deserve rough justice for what they did.. they've done more direct and deliberate damage than any of the comparisons i've heard...

An inner London police station is not provincial.

Gathering at the police station was not a political act. Somebody had been shot dead. The people were asking for answers and weren't there on a political rally.

The IPCC failed to provide info to the family and fed incorrect info to the press, verbally.

There were no local football matches that day, only lower league matches in other parts of the capital.

You are horrendously badly informed I'm afraid.

I just read that a mum of two was sent to prison for 6 months for wearing a pair of shorts somebody had looted. She was was asleep during the riots. Should her family be evicted from their property?

Archived