Follow The Flags Man!!

It's been asked here before, who and why does someone daily fly flags of various nations on a flag pole in his garden on Whiteley Wood Road?

Well now we have the answer!

He can be followed on Twitter

http://twitter.com/#!/theflagsman or Facebook-Sheffield Flagman

Be patriotic, whatever country you come from and follow The Flags Man! :D

I remember as a child my parents taking us to the various different Butlins all over the country, the first thing I noticed was all the flagpoles surrounding the camp representing countries all over the world, I thought it was fantastic and enjoyed learning which flag belonged to which country.

I remember as a child my parents taking us to the various different Butlins all over the country, the first thing I noticed was all the flagpoles surrounding the camp representing countries all over the world, I thought it was fantastic and enjoyed learning which flag belonged to which country.

Football learnt me with flags, i quite liked geography at school aswell.

I take my Wednesday flag to the caravan when we go and put it up outside lol.

There are 2 types of flags - proper hand sewn ones where each colour is a different piece of fabric all sewn together & ones which are printed onto synthetic fabric. The proper ones are expensive and although they last longer they are also much heavier so they don't furl so well, especially when they get wet. The other ones are much cheaper and they are lighter so they furl much better. The Sheffield Flagman has a couple of proper hand sewn flags but most of them are the cheaper ones, many of them bought by other people as presents...

PS I have all this inside knowledge as I am Mrs Flagman

I love flags and have often wondered about the flags flying at your house. Me and the kids always discuss them when we see them (usually from the allotment). I think this is the first time I've wanted to follow someone on twitter - may have to join now. Keep on flying the flag!

The Flagman says you're right about the Northumbrian flag being the oldest in Britain (apparently it was described in the historical records of the Venerable Bede when recording the funeral of St Oswald, King and Martyr). He hasn't got one (yet) but its a nice flag & he might get it to add to his other British county flags (Cornwall - 5th March & Yorkshire - 1st August).

Archived