After effect of iv morphine

hello

my husband was given iv morphine at the hospital yesterday due to bery bad back pain caused by a slipped disc.

he has come home still in the same amount of pain but his feet are now totlally numb and feel like he is walking with pading on botom of his feet. he is limping terribly. the pain in his back has lessened a bit but his legs are still burning/numb.

does anyone know would the morphine cause numbness in feet?

thanks

hello

my husband was given iv morphine at the hospital yesterday due to bery bad back pain caused by a slipped disc.

he has come home still in the same amount of pain but his feet are now totlally numb and feel like he is walking with pading on botom of his feet. he is limping terribly. the pain in his back has lessened a bit but his legs are still burning/numb.

thanks

I've not heard about morphine causing numbness, but an injured back certainly can cause numbness and a burning sensation in the feet and legs.

The side effects of the morphine which is given routinely for severe pain would usually have cleared by now, especially when you consider that it was administered intravenously.

Depending how much of it he had to be given, it could cause numbness anywhere and everywhere. It may take a few days for the side-effects to wear off.

Morphine's a powerful and nasty drug, which is why they only use it when they really don't have any other options.

Morphine is a great drug that has saved a lot of people from a lot of pain, but the effects will have worn off by now. I reckon a trip back to the doctor is needed to check out the numbness.

hello

thanks

I used to love morphine when i was in hospital, been on it loads of times.It never made me numb ,just light headed at 1st and then it itches like a b***h .If this happens then just take hayfever tablets oh and the jumpy dreams arnt funny :)

I had hallucinations when I was on morphine, mice running into bathroom, spiders running down wall behind telly (this was when I was in hospital). I even got out of bed to look behind telly and my sister said "jenni what ya doing" I replied "dint you see them spiders run behind telly? Her face was a picture!! I can laugh about it now.....

Have his symptoms changed from before having the morphine, or were his feet numb before too?

Is he getting any other symptoms in his legs? Any problems passing urine or faeces, numbness between his legs or tripping/stumbling a lot?

I don't know if morphine would cause this, but it could be related to his back pain. Has he definitely got a disc prolapse?

we have just spoke to nhs direct and they say new numbness is nothing to do with the morphine and that it is his disc that is causing a deteriation.

he was told unofficially that its a prolapsed disc as the scan has not been reported on since tuesday.

nhs direct said to phone and tell consultants sec that he has new deteriation ie numbness, and also he now has restricted movement in his left leg, he can not flex the left ankle anything like as much as the right one.

we just need someone to look at his scan and examin him as he is getting new symptons daily as its worrying

thanks for all advice so far

Archived