After effect of iv morphine

Morphine is a great drug that has saved a lot of people from a lot of pain, but the effects will have worn off by now. I reckon a trip back to the doctor is needed to check out the numbness.

I think nasty is the last word I'd use about morphine.

A bit too nice, possibly, but not nasty.

Any numbness is likely to be something entirely different, it's not really an effect of morphine or other opiod agonists.

I'd have thought that this was more to do with the injury than the morphine too- if he was going to have these side effects of the morphine then they would have happened well before he left hospital.

His consultant (assuming he has one) needs to know about these new symptoms.

we have just spoke to nhs direct and they say new numbness is nothing to do with the morphine and that it is his disc that is causing a deteriation.

he was told unofficially that its a prolapsed disc as the scan has not been reported on since tuesday.

nhs direct said to phone and tell consultants sec that he has new deteriation ie numbness, and also he now has restricted movement in his left leg, he can not flex the left ankle anything like as much as the right one.

we just need someone to look at his scan and examin him as he is getting new symptons daily as its worrying

thanks for all advice so far

Seems about right to me.I had bike crash around 1974 broke ankle never thought anymore about it.Until i was back on bikes and started with back problems this was about a year later.Fist time it went was 6 months laid up got kind of ok but was told by NGH had fracture or old fracture by this time to lower back.Now 1 and 2 vertibra are fused 3/4/5 prolapsed.Although not laid up that long now when it go,s can be a week or two laid up.Somtimes its just for a day or so if lucky.I have lost a lot of use in left ankle and left leg hence can only drive auto now no strengh in ackle and do,s not bend as it used too.Basicly been up and down hospys 3 infact over years and outcome is live with it i was told while im still mobile.However it do dos not seem to beable to handle me standing long time or any lifting so might go and give them another go see what they decide now lol.Probably another waist of time.

Good luck though know how he is feeling.

PLEASE, (I may be teaching my grandma to suck eggs here, but if it saves trouble I have had, then it's worth it!) make sure that his feet are well protected when he is walking, even around the house - supportive trainers, not too tight fitting are best - I'd hate him to also have to put up with damage to his feet caused by loss of sensation. Also he shouldn't be tempted, as I was, to hang his legs over the bed - I did this and fell asleep and subsequently had foot drop and problems for about a year, which is quite frightening and annoying. Be careful with bathing the feet also, as he might not realise how hot the water is.

Good luck, and keep on to the Doctors.

I had morphine IV for 4 days after lung removal, no ill effects at all. Found it quite pleasant but the dreams were a little wierd at times. I still take Tramadol, an opiate, very effective but still get the odd wierd dream. No physical side effects though.
Not the alien and monster dreams is it lol.

Oh and murders

When you lose one relative to addiction and almost lose another to morphine poisoning you may change that opinion.

It's clearly an emotive subject for you, hence your use of the word "nasty". I've seen the good it can do for a dying parent, and have experienced its effects in two different contexts, hence my comment "a bit too nice".

we have just spoke to nhs direct and they say new numbness is nothing to do with the morphine and that it is his disc that is causing a deteriation.

he was told unofficially that its a prolapsed disc as the scan has not been reported on since tuesday.

nhs direct said to phone and tell consultants sec that he has new deteriation ie numbness, and also he now has restricted movement in his left leg, he can not flex the left ankle anything like as much as the right one.

we just need someone to look at his scan and examin him as he is getting new symptons daily as its worrying

thanks for all advice so far

Suffer from it in the same way. Prolapsed disc presses on the nerve causing pain and numbness in the buttocks, legs and feet. It all depends which disc has bust as to where the pain and numbness occur, it causes you pain if you lay flat and try to lift a leg, or even try to walk. The pain at times be can very severe, more than that, extreemly severe. When it is at its worst your saddle goes numb and you lose feeling in your backside, the numbness is bad when you have to visit the toilet, believe me.

Regards

Angel.

Archived