Is Insurance Becoming Virtually Pointless..

Insurance is fine until you need to make a claim. Then the insurers don't want to insure you any more. I pay over £100 a month for car, buildings and contents and my car is only a 1.3.

Are you a young driver or had lots of claims as that's really high!

Mine's £32 a month (if I paid it up front it'd be better, but monthly they add installment charges). That's for a 2litre turbo diesel, and I'm only 35!

Are you a young driver or had lots of claims as that's really high!

Mine's £32 a month (if I paid it up front it'd be better, but monthly they add installment charges). That's for a 2litre turbo diesel, and I'm only 35!

I once paid all mine up front,all £700 and once the insurance company had my money, the customer service after was crap,they did not want to know.

If you take car insurance.

If you live in a high risk area, you are more likely to be a victim of car crime and so your car insurance premiums are higher (or your area may be blacklisted).

If you live in a leafy area, your insurance will be lower.

Sadly the people who can least afford insurance are the ones who are punished by there postcodes.

I dread to think what the impact of the recent riots will be to insurance premiums, especially to the people who live in those localitys (it will also filter down to us all)

If you take car insurance.

If you live in a high risk area, you are more likely to be a victim of car crime and so your car insurance premiums are higher (or your area may be blacklisted).

If you live in a leafy area, your insurance will be lower.

I don't think that's always true.

I spend a good hour or two on the net finding the best prices each year for my car and house insurance.

I used to live in S36, which although it had some crime, at that time was fairly quiet. It was certainly leafy! Middle of nowhere in Stocksbridge. My insurance was higher then than it is now, in S2 (Heeley). This is despite the fact that my car was broken into in S2 and I now have a claim. I still pay £300 ish for my car insurance, fully comp. I paid more for the same car in S36, with no problems there ever.

Same for the house insurance. 2 claims here, none in S36, and it was more expensive there. I understand age will have an impact, but all those figures were whilst over 30.

That said, the quotes I saw varied massively. Some insurers quoted me £2000 for my car. I laughed at them, and enjoyed responding fully when they asked me why I didn't take their "very good" quote up.

I do wonder, when I hear these stories of people paying, as an example £100/week, whether that's just the highest quote they got, so they're quoting that one, rather than the quote of £400 a year they forgot to mention they took up.

It'd be an interesting challenge to be given the details of these people to see if I could find it cheaper for them.

I`m shopping for car insurance now.Had full no claims but not been insured in Britain for 3 years so lost them all.Lose them after 2 years apparently at the company's discretion.

Presumably you've tried several companies to find one that will honour your NCD. What about them giving you some of the NCD as a starter.

I worked out of the country for over 3 years (this was over 25 years ago, so attitudes may have changed), but when I returned I'm sure I was able to resurrect my old NCD when applying for insurance.

Also, can you demonstrate a good driving record during the 3 year period, that might help. My wife had been a named driver on my insurance for many years. When she finally took out her own insurance she was able to gain a few years' discount.

Archived