Cheap: The most used word on Sheffield Forum?

Is cheap or over priced the most used words on sheff forum. Almost all threads asking about, services, food starts with cheap ..... Wanted. Do people not care about any sort of quality or good service.. People I'm sheff want food piled high for £2.50 and then complain about leaving a tip, if anyone wants a plumber, builder etc again it starts with cheap .... Wanted. And then if anyone goes to a restaurant and it costs more than £3 for a main course it's classed as over priced. No wonder Sheffield really struggles to keep up with our northern cousins in leeds or manchester.. Sheffield is actually full of scrubbers who earn about £11k a year...

Is cheap or over priced the most used words on sheff forum. Almost all threads asking about, services, food starts with cheap ..... Wanted. Do people not care about any sort of quality or good service.. People I'm sheff want food piled high for £2.50 and then complain about leaving a tip, if anyone wants a plumber, builder etc again it starts with cheap .... Wanted. And then if anyone goes to a restaurant and it costs more than £3 for a main course it's classed as over priced. No wonder Sheffield really struggles to keep up with our northern cousins in leeds or manchester.. Sheffield is actually full of scrubbers who earn about £11k a year...

Nope its troll or rascist.

I was wondering about this the other day.

I mean, we had a really rather nice new restaurant open in the city (and we don't have many really good ones - not compared to other similar sized cities) and some folks on here who had actually not been to this place, were complaining about it being dearer than their local chip shop. I mean, that's the mentality that we are talking about.

I agree with you to some extent that Sheffielders, of which I am one, seem to be obsessed with the price of everything. On another thread, a lady is asking where can she get a "Lobster dinner" in Sheffield. Someone replies, trying to be helpful, but has to mention "I'm not sure about the price". Obviously, totally oblivious to the fact that if you are seeking Lobster for dinner then it's highly likely that the price isn't a factor!! Put it this way, Lobster is expected to be expensive, for those who haven't tried it.

I was speaking with the owner of one of the new restaurants in town recently. He has businesses all over the place, but he openly volunteered that "Sheffield is a really hard nut to crack" because of this obession with price and the fact that, compared with other places, your Sheffielder just isn't prepared to put hand in pocket and stump up for quality. It's a generalism of course and as such it is wrong to label everyone like this - but I do see this a lot and having lived in many places, not just the UK but even in 3rd world places where people really are in poverty, I find it odd - and I think it's something that has held Sheffield back for decades. No point in building a Harvey Nicholls or a Selfridges here because Sheffield folk won't venture it - it would be "too expensive" without even going through the front door.

I used to work in sales, many years ago, and cover a big geography in the UK. When I came to Sheffield others warned me - "the first question they will ask is "how much is it?" - sure enough they did.

I think it comes from a culture of Sheffield being a traditional market town, at one stage, and Sheffielders being a very resourceful, independent type of people. People who are good at making things and making do and mend. It's part of the fabric of the place and to some extent I think that is to be admired. They don't see the need to have flash this or fancy that. Just basic, perfunctory things that serve their purpose. And anything over and above this is an excess that many don't see any point in paying extra for.

I suspect jaythedon is trying to wind up a few by suggesting that Sheffielders are scrubbers on low salaries. He, or she, knows that's not the reason - although as in any city it will apply to some.

But I have to admit, as a Sheffielder, it annoys me intensely that we do have this very cost-conscious attitude which really is much more pronounced here, than anywhere else that I have ever known. Including some major cities in 3rd world developing nations. It really is an obsession that isn't good for us or for the city we love.

It seems we know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

This is Yorkshire. People are genetically endowed with short arms and deep pockets.

I was wondering about this the other day.

I mean, we had a really rather nice new restaurant open in the city (and we don't have many really good ones - not compared to other similar sized cities) and some folks on here who had actually not been to this place, were complaining about it being dearer than their local chip shop. I mean, that's the mentality that we are talking about.

I agree with you to some extent that Sheffielders, of which I am one, seem to be obsessed with the price of everything. On another thread, a lady is asking where can she get a "Lobster dinner" in Sheffield. Someone replies, trying to be helpful, but has to mention "I'm not sure about the price". Obviously, totally oblivious to the fact that if you are seeking Lobster for dinner then it's highly likely that the price isn't a factor!! Put it this way, Lobster is expected to be expensive, for those who haven't tried it.

I was speaking with the owner of one of the new restaurants in town recently. He has businesses all over the place, but he openly volunteered that "Sheffield is a really hard nut to crack" because of this obession with price and the fact that, compared with other places, your Sheffielder just isn't prepared to put hand in pocket and stump up for quality. It's a generalism of course and as such it is wrong to label everyone like this - but I do see this a lot and having lived in many places, not just the UK but even in 3rd world places where people really are in poverty, I find it odd - and I think it's something that has held Sheffield back for decades. No point in building a Harvey Nicholls or a Selfridges here because Sheffield folk won't venture it - it would be "too expensive" without even going through the front door.

I used to work in sales, many years ago, and cover a big geography in the UK. When I came to Sheffield others warned me - "the first question they will ask is "how much is it?" - sure enough they did.

I think it comes from a culture of Sheffield being a traditional market town, at one stage, and Sheffielders being a very resourceful, independent type of people. People who are good at making things and making do and mend. It's part of the fabric of the place and to some extent I think that is to be admired. They don't see the need to have flash this or fancy that. Just basic, perfunctory things that serve their purpose. And anything over and above this is an excess that many don't see any point in paying extra for.

I suspect jaythedon is trying to wind up a few by suggesting that Sheffielders are scrubbers on low salaries. He, or she, knows that's not the reason - although as in any city it will apply to some.

But I have to admit, as a Sheffielder, it annoys me intensely that we do have this very cost-conscious attitude which really is much more pronounced here, than anywhere else that I have ever known. Including some major cities in 3rd world developing nations. It really is an obsession that isn't good for us or for the city we love.

It seems we know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

What a very good observational post, and i would say very true :)

This is a CHEAP dig at proper Sheffielders of which you are obviously not!

Archived