Cheap: The most used word on Sheffield Forum?

One of the most overused clichéd sayings that means absolutely nothing.

It's pretty accurate actually. Buy something based soley on price and the quality will probably be poor, that's why it's cheap. Buy the equivalent higher priced item, and assuming that you avoid being ripped off then the quality will be higher. See the thread about Ponsfords and furniture for examples.

i would like to know what you mean by that, can you buy my some thing thats worth £20 for £5?

Some prices have nothing to do with what the item is actually worth. Its common to overprice something and then cut the price just to make it seem that the item was worth more than it really is. Supermarkets do that a lot with alcoholic drinks, especially wine and its common practice in other areas as well.

How often do you see adverts stating that an item was worth something only to see it being sold at a discount, something which happens a lot on TV shopping channels. If it is worth that amount in the first place then why discount it?

I could pay £50 for some item or if I shop around I may pay only £20 for the same item so the term "you get wot you pay for" means nothing.

For instance I have just purchased something on line that cost me £26 but there are plenty of places that are selling the same item at £46 which is the average recommended price, unless you go to Maplins and then its £66. :hihi:

They usually want something 'good but cheap' don't they? The two rarely go hand in hand.

Yeah, I've noticed this. I'm sure I've even seen people asking about cheap tattoos and piercings. Yikes!

Some prices have nothing to do with what the item is actually worth. Its common to overprice something and then cut the price just to make it seem that the item was worth more than it really is. Supermarkets do that a lot with alcoholic drinks, especially wine and its common practice in other areas as well.

How often do you see adverts stating that an item was worth something only to see it being sold at a discount, something which happens a lot on TV shopping channels. If it is worth that amount in the first place then why discount it?

I could pay £50 for some item or if I shop around I may pay only £20 for the same item so the term "you get wot you pay for" means nothing.

For instance I have just purchased something on line that cost me £26 but there are plenty of places that are selling the same item at £46 which is the average recommended price, unless you go to Maplins and then its £66. :hihi:

On the other hand, you could look up (for example) 500 watt PSU's. You could get the cheapest you could find for maybe £20, or you could do some research and spend £80 on a decent one.

In that case you'd get what you paid for, the more expensive one would function better, last longer and be less likely to blow up and take your entire PC with it.

You get what you pay for, which doesn't mean that you can't find the best price or hunt out a bargain, but quality items are simply not available at rock bottom prices.

Build meadowhall, and let Sheffield city centre become a national joke. It seems that the only people who care about Sheffield is none of us, as judging by the state of the place, its not a patch on what it was 20 years ago. The gadget shop in meadowhall is now more thaked about than Maces pet shop and castle market. Our heritage is gone, and thes "nowt" we can do about it.

If someone spends money carefully for things that are really worth it they are labeled as stingy.

Because of all the advertisements everywhere people associate spending money (shopping, buying stuff, more stuff and even more stuff) with happiness.

They want their lives to be like in the adverts where everyone seems happy.

They spend money for anything. Useless stuff that they never use or wear.

"Having" these things provides them with the illusion of being happy for a very short period of time.

Archived