Is David Starkey Right ?

Although one thing is clear, whether you agree with him or think he's a racist. His comments blow out of the water the theory that racists are a bunch on knuckle dragging thicksters. He's quite bright. :)

Another observation in relation to blaming rap music. The older generations have always blamed the ills of society on the music listened to by the young. I remember that the late Elvis Presley was presented as the devil. Then there's all the hidden satanic messages in heavy metal music. The Sex Pistols? etc.

We'd be in a sorry state if the music of the young was very much approved by us old fogies....:)

Although one thing is clear, whether you agree with him or think he's a racist. His comments blow out of the water the theory that racists are a bunch on knuckle dragging thicksters. He's quite bright. :)

)

Unfortunately his uncontrollable urge to angrily rant at anyone who sees things differently leaves the impression that as well as being quite bright, he is also a bit bonkers.

Didn't a politician once get pulled for calling some black people "coconuts"? Haha.
I think Starkey was alluding to David Lammy being one too, but said it rather less delicately ;)

A black person does not have to behave any different to a white person. I have no doubt that if I met you, for example, in a pub there would be nothing about your behaviour that would identify you as black compared to the rest of the guys in the bar.

That's rather ungracious azazel, it would be quite obvious since I carry myself on three legs :hihi:

What I mean by this is that I doubt you would be making a kind of spitting sound between your teeth, that you would be going "brap, brap blud", having no regard to the people around you, or would be displaying bright flashing jewellery that you couldn't possibly afford..........

Indeed my tastes are rather more discreet, although I do have an affection for grits and jerk chicken :blush:

Now most black people are not like this.....but the above traits that I described are associated with the behaviour of *a proportion* of black youths, and probably the majority of the ones who are on the streets of London making exhibitions of themselves.

It's this that the white chavs have imitated, and see ALL of these things as cool. From the mouth noises to the disrespect. Now we could argue that the kids would have been disrespectful anyway. We have no way to prove this or otherwise, but to suggest a link is by no means a crime.

You could well be right, but of course there's nothing inherently bad in wearing bling or making an exhibition of yourself, after all there are plenty of goths, headbangers, bikers, and tattoo/piercing fans out there who affiliate with like minded individuals and dress similarly.

As Mr Starkey said, 80% of gun crime in London is committed by blacks. Eighty percent!! So whilst there may be a reason for this there is clearly something brewing amongst the black community.

You could read it like that, and of course the statistics are quite alarming, but there are other crimes where whites are over represented, yet their ethnicity is rarely, if ever considered. Having said that it would be totally naive to dismiss out of hand the relationship between gun/knife crime in London and the emerging pattern between those committing it.

Skin colour just adds another label to add to a particular group.
I hadn't really considered that but you're probably right in that assessment.

Archived