Can you take bikes on trains?

And if yes does it cost anything :help:

If it's the third Thursday after Pentacost, in a leap year, but only if it's not raining, and you booked for next month in 1987. And if the conductor feels like it.

(That's how it can feel sometimes! :D)

It depends on the operator. Some allow only two bikes, and then only on some services, others don't seem to bother and there's loads of them!

Contact the individual operator concerned. I wouldn't rely on the info on the website!

Good luck!

You can on some routes yes (most) However, if you're planning to go a lengthy distance at short notice on a mainline train you may be out of luck.

At one time I used to try and get to meetings that were just outside Darlington, so would get the train and then cycle the 10 miles or so afterwards. More often than not, even though I had an return ticket for that day, the guards wouldn't let me on with my bike meaning I'd have to wait for another train going my way. There were numerous times when the bike shed bit of the larger mainline trains would be empty and they still wouldn't let me on, depsite my valid ticket.

It's fairly prohibitive to book your bike onto the train legitimately at short notice due to them not being able to reserve a bike space once the train is in motion (so a train could set off from Penzance at 05.30 and you'd have to take pot luck when it got up North)

Yet again ridiculous rules set by companies who are really out of touch. I made the case to Cross Country about regulations for sizes of luggage and they even made the point themselves - if my bike was in a cardboard box and labelled as luggage then they wouldn't have a problem with it... even though it would have to occupy more space than if it were just a bike... madness.

Archived