Court sentences for rioters

Who in their right mind would have gone looting during the blitz? They'd have been bombed along with the riot squad before they got shot.

There's a lovely story from the North East I've cut and pasted from the Guardian website about a 17 years old father who's on remand for rioting. A father at 17 and now banged up for rioting.

"A father broke down in tears as his teenage son was remanded in custody charged with one of the few incidents of trouble last week in north-east England.

The man was comforted by his wife as the 17-year-old was led away after being accused of violent disorder in which a police station in Washington, near Sunderland, was attacked and a patrol car set on fire.

The defendant, who cannot be named for legal reasons, looked distraught when bail was denied. His solicitor had said the teenager was "desperate" to see his own toddler son after spending the weekend in jail."

That reminds me of someone I met last year... He was on bail for theft, assault and possession... For weeks he was in a terrible state, virtually in tears all the time, petrified of going down (had already served a sentence for some kind of 2nd degree murder)... Not that he really changed his was, but he even found god and started publicly praying (not at church mind you). On the morning he found out the cases had been dropped, well, he went out shop lifting with his teenage girlfriend and kids to celebrate... As you may guess, he felt untouchable and just got worse!

have you ever lived in a country where they have harsh penalties ?

<snip>

what have they got in common.? harsh penalties and people respect and or are frightend of the police.

Or maybe it's that the people have respect for each other?

Simply imposing harsh penalties and / or being frightened of the police smells too much of the New Labour of criminalising everything, just to make the law & order and conviction rates stats look good. End result is that you have too much law and not enough order.

That reminds me of someone I met last year... He was on bail for theft, assault and possession... For weeks he was in a terrible state, virtually in tears all the time, petrified of going down (had already served a sentence for some kind of 2nd degree murder)... Not that he really changed his was, but he even found god and started publicly praying (not at church mind you). On the morning he found out the cases had been dropped, well, he went out shop lifting with his teenage girlfriend and kids to celebrate... As you may guess, he felt untouchable and just got worse!

Where was this? There is no such thing as second degree murder in England and Wales.

The police (crown prosecution) bring the offence to the court. The Magistrates have guidelines within each offence. The offence has mitigating and aggravating circumstances which determine the strength of the punishment. A group act, a severe threat to peoples lives etc will give a greater sentence. People that act on he back of these acts will result in a lower sentence.

I'll tell you what will probably happen with these sentences. People adversley affected by the riots and politicians will want to throw the book at them. If the court tries to make examples of them the defendants' solicitors will cite previous cases of similar contexts where lesser sentences were given. Of course imprisonment and fines won't be enough for some people.

Archived