Court sentences for rioters

No. I am asking for evidence to support your statement.

I have no evidence,but I have a strong belief that in the absence of law and order,anarchy rules,and the weak and disadvantaged will suffer at the hands of the bully boys.I have got little faith in the innate goodness of society to look after the those who cannot fend for themselves,without the backing of a policing and justice system.

I am still interested in what you do advocate,and do not think that your assertion that some countries with stronger penalties have higher crime rates is a convincing argument.we are talking about our society,at a certain level of development and with it's own particular problems.Which countries are you thinking of?Are there any countries with lesser penalties but also less crime?

Are there any countries with lesser penalties but also less crime?

Yes, there are. There are also countries with lesser penalties and more crime.

All of which taken together is clear proof that the severity, or leniency, of sentencing has no effect at all on the prevailing crime rates. We need to look elsewhere for ways to bring them down.

Or maybe it's that the people have respect for each other?Simply imposing harsh penalties and / or being frightened of the police smells too much of the New Labour of criminalising everything, just to make the law & order and conviction rates stats look good. End result is that you have too much law and not enough order.

thats a very good point,

when applied to the people of japan god knows what the people of fukushima thought when they saw the riots in england:roll]

to much law?there is usually a copper for every block in japans major citys

and he knows everybody on the block.

as for the

people of burma with about 150 different ethnic groups its a different ball game keeping them apart .

china as a kind of a community

system left over from communism.

in both countrys you can't have to much law simple as that .

as for england we've shot our selves in the foot with democracy

what happend in the riots with police stood watching like stunned mullets says it all.

And what do you think would have happened if the police had cracked down?

I do not believe it is over the top to use lethal force on out of control mobs armed with lethal projectiles and fire bombs. Harsh measures are allowed from both a moral and legal perspective when one is confronted with violent mobs intent on causing serious harm to the general population. It is for all intents and purposes a civil insurrection mounted by criminals. These are not people protesting for their basic civil liberties, but are selfish folk trying to hurt others and to loot.. The general public has a right to look to the government to protect their rights and liberties. PM Cameron is about to meet his Waterloo and I anticipate that he will soon face an uprising in his caucus for his weak response.

"Perry Sutcliffe-Keenan, 22, of Latchford, Warrington, used his Facebook account in the early hours of 9 August to design a web page entitled The Warrington Riots. The court was told it caused a wave of panic in the town. When he woke up the following morning with a hangover, he removed the page and apologised, saying it had been a joke. His message was distributed to 400 Facebook contacts, but no rioting broke out as a result." ...Guardian.co.uk

4 years for a stupid joke deemed as inciting a riot that never took place?

Bonkers.

"Anderson Fernandes, 22, appeared before magistrates in Manchester charged with burglary after he took two scoops of coffee ice-cream and a cone from Patisserie Valerie in the city centre. He gave the cone away because he didn't like the flavour.

Fernandes admitted burglary in relation to the ice-cream and an unconnected charge of handling stolen goods after a vacuum cleaner was recovered from his home. District judge Jonathan Taaffe said: "I have a public duty to deal swiftly and harshly with matters of this nature." Fernandes will be sentenced next week"

WTF?

"Perry Sutcliffe-Keenan, 22, of Latchford, Warrington, used his Facebook account in the early hours of 9 August to design a web page entitled The Warrington Riots. The court was told it caused a wave of panic in the town. When he woke up the following morning with a hangover, he removed the page and apologised, saying it had been a joke. His message was distributed to 400 Facebook contacts, but no rioting broke out as a result." ...Guardian.co.uk

4 years for a stupid joke deemed as inciting a riot that never took place?

Bonkers.

I told you what was going to happen

Archived