Sheffield Forum- size?

ah... a site is worth what some one will pay for it, those calculators arent good indicators.

I dont think number of users shouls be any indicator of size (many forums get bloated with spam users joining, then not posting because they cant add a link)

Digi spy is huge!

I dont think number of users shouls be any indicator of size (many forums get bloated with spam users joining, then not posting because they cant add a link)

Number of active users would be a better one (at least five posts in the last two weeks?) ... but I don't know whether anyone does, or even could, collect that information.

On the 'riots' thread, Nagel posted that "...This [=Sheffield Forum] is the biggest forum in the UK"

So is it? Who decides and how can anyone tell?

I only said that to make the mods feel good so they didn't delete the thread :hihi:

Number of active users would be a better one (at least five posts in the last two weeks?) ... but I don't know whether anyone does, or even could, collect that information.

Active users is generally quoted at the bottom of forums, but it only means "active" since they have logged on within the past x months.. it doesn't mean they're not bots or have / haven't posted

I only said that to make the mods feel good so they didn't delete the thread :hihi:

Still.. you wasn't that far off comparing to the Big Boards. 361 on Big Boards, that's still quite high up (considering it's competing with cooperate giants too!)

I saw someone post something similar, but it was more like "SF is the biggest community forum in the UK (and we can't discuss this, can't discuss that)". I think the thread got deleted.

And I took that to mean that no other city has anything so big where the residents get together to discuss their city.

This is probably correct.

According to some data that I saw recently (and I can't actually remember where) SF is the largest geographically based community forum in Europe.

There are surprisingly few large community forums around actually. Most places have a forum and when I joined SF I just assumed that every city would have a large forum like SF but what seems to happen is that somebody starts a forum and they fail after 2-3 years so there's a limited size that any new forum can attain in that time, whereas SF shows what happens when the forum gets large enough that it comes up on geographical web searches routinely.

Archived